[ay16-17] Moodle- Creating and Using a Forum
This article explain the process of creating a using a forum that can help professors and students communicate with one another quickly and easily.
Creating a Forum
1. First, turn editing on by clicking the Turn Editing on button at the top right corner of your course homepage.
4. Set the type of subscription that you'd like your forum to have (see question mark box next to "Subscription mode" for more information).
5. Once finished, click the Save and return to course button at the bottom of the page.
Using a Discussion Forum
Creating a new topic
4. Browse and modify the remaining settings. You will be able to modify the post for 30 minutes after you save it and a notification is emailed to subscribed users. Checking the “Mail now” box will immediately send this email notification. Once finished, click the Post to forum button at the bottom of the page.
Posting a comment to a topic
1. From within a forum, click on the name of the desired topic.
2. To post a comment, click the Reply link in the topic. You can also reply to other posts. Forums will display posts in nested form by default.
3. Type the comment text in the “Message” field. The reply will automatically be given a subject.
4. Browse and modify the remaining settings as desired. Once finished, click the Post to forum button at the bottom of the page.
Grading forum posts
1. Grading in a forum can be enabled by selecting an “Aggregate type” and “Grade” scale in the forum’s settings page.
3. When you have finished giving ratings to posts within a topic, click the Send in my latest ratings button. A student’s total grade for the forum will be calculated from the ratings of all his/her posts according to the aggregation in the forum’s settings.