Topics Map > Tableau
Creating a New Definition in Data Cookbook
This document details how to create a new definition in Data Cookbook.
Creating New Definitions:
Two ways to start the process:
From Specification's Definition tab
From Specification module, click the "Definitions" tab from top tabbed menu. On the "Definitions" section, scroll to the bottom and click the hyperlinked "create a new definition":
This should bring up the "Create Definition" page.
From Cookbook new Definition module
Go to Data Cookbook: https://uwmadison.datacookbook.com/
From the top menu, hover over "Definitions", then from the menu, choose "Create a Definition":
Create Definition page
In the "Create Definition" page, the minimum you need to fill in is:
- Name: Pick a proper name for the definition
- Functional Definition: The descriptive definition of the
- Functional Area: These are the domains
- Make sure to "Save" the definition
This will start the review process:
- It puts it in "Drafting" status
- If any edits are needed, they can be done by clicking the "Edit" button
- Add comments if needed
- Click the "Send to Data Governance" button
It will be reviewed and approved and activated by the Sub-Committee.
Here is the workflow for definitions review:
If this is a new definition that is going to be used for a specification, you do not have to wait for the definition to be approved before you add it to specification and run the specification review process.