My UW System Portal - Attending My UW System Portal Web Conferences
Faculty and staff can set up and manage web conferences directly from the My UW System portal and the My UW-Madison portal (the rest of this article will refer to My UW System, but applies equally to My UW-Madison). This document shows you how to set up a web conference in My UW System and make it available for attendees.
My UW System Portal web conferencing uses Blackboard Collaborate software. Collaborate is a browser-based tool that allows people to communicate, collaborate, and participate in virtual meetings. Collaborate can also be used independently of the portal.
Attending Web Conferences
Through the My UW System Portal
The person who has created a web conference (and only that person) can access that web conference through My UW System.
1. Go to your My UW System portal page and click the Web Conferencing link in the Employee Resources menu. The list of available web conferences opens.
2. In the Web Conferences list, click the Join Now link for the web conference you want to attend. If the conference instead says “Join in xx days, and xx hours,” then that web conference has not yet started.
Through an individual invitation
Attendees individually invited to a web conference from an email invitation should click the link provided in the email to attend the conference.
The email sent to individual invitees will also include a calendar invitation which participants can import into most major online calendar systems. Participants who opt for this method should click on the link in their calendar.
Through a Guest Link
Attendees who aren’t individually invited through the portal may still be given a generic Guest Link. Meeting creators can distribute that generic Guest Link anywhere a URL can be posted: on a website, in a mass email, in a tweet, etc. Anyone who clicks on the generic Guest Link can enter the meeting.
Launching the Collaborate Software
Follow these steps after you click the link to join the web conference.
1. You will be prompted to download a file called meeting.jnlp that allows the Collaborate web conferencing software to be downloaded to your device. Accept the download of the file (you can save it to your desktop or another location).
2. Some computers automatically launch the downloaded meeting.jnlp file and begin launching Collaborate. If that doesn't happen on your computer, launch the meeting.jnlp file.
3. You may see another window that asks you to allow Blackboard Collaborate to access your computer. Click the Allow button to allow access.
4. The first time you enter a conference room you will be asked to select your connection speed. Select your connection speed and click the OK button.
5. The web conference opens.
NOTE: If you see an application error "Unable to launch the application," it is recommended that you clear your Java cache
. This is likely to solve the problem.
Be sure to take the time to become familiar with the Collaborate interface and tools. There is much more information on Collaborate features in the Blackboard Collaborate KnowledgeBase