Topics Map > Client Configuration > Desktop
Office 365 (Outlook 2016 for Mac) - Configure Outlook 2016 for Mac
This document explains how to connect to the Office 365 service.
- Download/Install Outlook 2016 for Mac
- Configure Outlook 2016 for Mac
- Configure Access to the Campus Directory (Whitepages
- Uninstall Outlook for Mac/Microsoft Office
Download/Install Outlook 2016 for Mac
Note: If you already have Outlook 2016 for Mac installed on your computer, skip this section follow the steps below to configure the client.
- Log in to Outlook on the web.
- Click on settings gear icon, .
- Click Office 365 Settings.
- Click Software.
- Click Install.
- When prompted, run the installer and continue with the installation/configuration process.
Configure Outlook 2016 for Mac
Warning: Before proceeding, make sure you have updated Outlook to the latest version (patch) currently available. If you do not update Outlook before proceeding, the potential exists that you will be unable to configure your account to Office 365 (you will receive an error during the configuration process).
Microsoft Outlook 2016 for Mac uses profiles to manage your accounts within Outlook.
- You have three options on configuring your Outlook profile:
- Option 1: First time user of Outlook (no existing profile).
- Launch Outlook to start the account creation wizard. Click the Exchange or Office 365 account option. Proceed to step 2.
- Option 2: Create a new profile.
- Make sure Outlook is not running.
- Follow these steps to create a new profile.
- Proceed to step 2.
- Option 3: Add your account to an existing profile.
- Launch Outlook 2016 for Mac.
- Go to "Tools" menu and click the Accounts selection.
- Select Exchange... from the + menu selection located at the bottom left corner of the 'Accounts' screen.
- Proceed to step 2.
- On the Auto Account Setup window, enter the following for each field:
- Email Address: -
- NetID Account: Enter the primary address of your NetID account which will take one of the following forms: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- Service Account: Enter the primary address of your Service account which will take one of the following forms: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: if you don't know whether you are attempting to configuring a NetID account or a Service account, please contact your domain administrator or the DoIT HelpDesk.
- Method: User Name and Password
- Password: Enter the password of the account you are configuring.
Note: If you are configuring a service account, a password is required. If you do not know the password of the service account you are configuring, contact your domain administrator.
- Ensure Configure Automatically is checked.
Important: The 'User name' field may be pre-populated with your email address you entered the previous step. You must make sure this address is changed to the format required in this step.Note: for further server/account details, see - Office 365 - Server and Account Configuration Settings.
- Email Address: -
- Click Add Account.
Please note: If you receive an error message that your account is unable to be auto-configured, please make sure that your Outlook client is fully updated to the newest version (patch) currently available.
If this is your first time setting up this client: You may receive the following notification:
Click Activate and follow the instructions using your NetID to login when asked to activate the software.
- A summary will be displayed upon successfully account configuration.
- Modify the account description field to something more descriptive; such as your name.
- Close the Accounts window to start using Outlook.
Note: If your original WiscMail/WiscMail Plus account was configured on this device, use the following instructions to remove the account: Office 365 (Outlook 2016 for Mac) - Removing an account
Important: Depending on the size and amount of emails you have in your account, Outlook may require some time to completely download all of your mail (and other data) the first time you load Outlook after configuring your account.
Remember: the Global Address List (GAL) will only contain Office 365 accounts. Therefore, you may still need access to the Campus Directory (Whitepages) to find the person you are searching for.
Use these instructions to configure the Campus Directory (Whitepages) within this client.
You may experience issues with Outlook for Mac that are often resolved by performing a full uninstall/reinstall of Microsoft Office. The following Microsoft documentation provides instructions on how to completely uninstall Microsoft Office on your Mac: Troubleshoot Office 2016 for Mac issues by completely uninstalling before you reinstall.