Office 365 (Outlook for Mac) - Configure Outlook
This document explains how to connect to the Office 365 service via Outlook for Mac client.
If you currently do not have Office/Outlook installed on your computer, please follow these instructions to install Office/Outlook before proceeding.
Warning: Before proceeding, make sure you have updated Outlook to the latest version (patch) currently available. If you do not update Outlook before proceeding, the potential exists that you will be unable to configure your account to Office 365 (you will receive an error during the configuration process).
Important: In addition to configuring your NetID account, this document also contains instructions on how to configure a Service Account. The recommended configuration for Service Accounts within Outlook is to have the Service Account linked to your NetID account and then to use the delegation feature to interact with the Service Account.
Microsoft Outlook for Mac uses profiles to manage your accounts within Outlook.
- You have three options on configuring your Outlook profile:
- Option 1: First time user of Outlook (no existing profile).
- Launch Outlook to start the account creation wizard. If prompted for type of account, select Exchange or Office 365. Proceed to step 2.
- Option 2: Create a new profile.
- Make sure Outlook is not running.
- Follow these steps to create a new profile.
- Proceed to step 2.
- Option 3: Add your account to an existing profile.
- Launch Outlook.
- Go to "Tools" menu and click the Accounts selection.
- Select New Account... from the + menu selection located at the bottom left corner of the 'Accounts' screen.
- Proceed to step 2.
- On the Setup your email window, enter the email address of the account you are attempting to configure:
- If you receive the following prompt:
Place a check mark within the "Always use my response for this server" check box.
- You will be redirected to NetID login screen - enter the credentials of the account you are attempting to configure.
Please note: If you receive an error message that your account is unable to be auto-configured, please make sure that your Outlook client is fully updated to the newest version (patch) currently available.
If this is your first time setting up this client: You may receive the following notification:
Click Activate and follow the instructions using your NetID to login when asked to activate the software.
- Depending on the size and amount of emails you have in your account, Outlook may require some time to completely download all of your mail (and other data) the first time you load Outlook after configuring your account.
- If you are having issues interacting with the configured account or with other accounts, please verify you have authenticated into Outlook before contacting the help desk.
Optional - Configure Access to the Campus Directory (Whitepages)
Remember: the Global Address List (GAL) will only contain Office 365 accounts. Therefore, you may still need access to the Campus Directory (Whitepages) to find the person you are searching for.
Use these instructions to configure the Campus Directory (Whitepages) within this client.
You may experience issues with Outlook for Mac that are often resolved by performing a full uninstall/reinstall of Microsoft Office. The following Microsoft documentation provides instructions on how to completely uninstall Microsoft Office on your Mac: Troubleshoot Office 2016 for Mac issues by completely uninstalling before you reinstall.