Office 365 accounts have the ability to provide permissions to other accounts allowing them to access data in the account.
Important: To better understand the permission levels in Office 365, please see Office 365 - Mail and Calendar folder permission levels.
This document will provide you with the basic information you will need to either grant permissions to other users or use permissions granted to you by other users.
Due to a known issue that permission levels can sometimes vary across clients, please be sure that you are consistently setting permissions levels in a single client, and preferably the same client as those you are interacting with.
Note: If you are intending to provide permissions for a NetID account to a service account, you also have the option to use the linking feature: Office 365 - Getting Started with Linking Accounts.
When looking to share your calendar there are two primary ways of doing so, sharing the calendar publicly and sharing the calendar with individuals.
Note: By default, every account in the UW-Madison Office 365 system have permission to view free/busy information on the calendars of other users. View complete list of permissions.
Sharing your calendar
- To manage the permissions to your calendar, please refer to Office 365 (Outlook on the web | Outlook for Windows/MacOS) - Share a calendar.
When looking to share your email, you can share individual folders, all of your folders (includes sub-folders), or you can assign send as/send on-behalf of permissions. View complete list of permissions.
Sharing individual folders
- To assign permissions to a single folder (read, editor, etc), please refer to Office 365 (Outlook on the web | Outlook for Windows/Mac) - Manage permissions to an email folder.
Sharing all your folders
- To assign editor permissions to the entire account grant them Full Mailbox Permissions permissions, please refer to Office 365 - Manage Full Mailbox, Send As, and Send on Behalf of Permissions.
Assigning send as/send on-behalf of permissions
- To assign send as or send on behalf of permissions, please refer to: Office 365 - Manage Full Mailbox, Send As, and Send on Behalf of Permissions.
Note: Please wait 24 hours after setting/changing/configuring resource permissions before attempting to utilize those permissions, as it may take time for those permissions to take effect.
Once you have been granted the necessary permissions, use the instructions below to interact with the calendar.
Once you have been granted the necessary permissions, use the instructions below to interact with the email.
- To use full mailbox permissions/permissions for a single folder or series of folders, please refer to the following doc: Office 365 (Outlook on the web | Outlook for Windows/Mac) - Accessing Another User's Email Folders
- To use send as/send on behalf of permissions, please refer to the following doc: Office 365 (Outlook on the web | Outlook for Windows/Mac) - Send as or Send on-behalf of another account