Office 365 (Outlook 2016 for Mac) - Respond to a Meeting Request
Even if you don't organize meetings and send invitations in Outlook 2016 for Mac, you may get invited to meetings now and then, so it's a good idea to know how to respond to a meeting request if you get one.
Important: If you do not send your response back to the organizer, they will not be able to track your response. In other words, it will appear as though you have not responded even though you had accepted or declined the meeting request. Meeting organizers: The only way to know when (date/time) an attendee responded to your invitation, is to save the email message that includes the response they provided.
When viewing a meeting request in Outlook 2016 for Mac, there are three actions that you can take: Accept, Decline, and Tentative. Until you act on the meeting invite, Outlook automatically sets your reply to Tentative. The date and time of the meeting will also be marked as Tentative in your calendar.
- When you open a meeting request, you will see a window very similar to an email message with additional buttons: Accept, Tentative, and Decline. You will also see a copy of your calendar on the right-side pane to let you know if you have any schedule conflicts.
You don't have to act on a meeting request right away; however, if you delete a meeting request, it will decline the meeting automatically.
- You have three response options to a meeting request: you can Accept, mark it as Tentative, or Decline the request. Each of these options has additional options:
- Respond With Comments: a new window will open for you to type in your comments in the message body (see image, below). Click Send to send your response to the meeting organizer.
- Respond Without Comments: you will notify the meeting organizer that you are attending. The meeting request window will close immediately.
- Do Not Send a Response: if you select this, the meeting organizer won't know if you are attending or not. The meeting request window will close immediately.
- After you respond to a meeting request, it will be moved from your Inbox to your Deleted Items folder.