Topics Map > Features and Functionality > Client Capabilities > Web (OWA)
Office 365 - Getting Started with Skype for Business
Skype for Business lets you connect with your co-workers within Office 365.
What can I do within Skype for Business?
- Start conversations with IM, voice, or video calls.
- See when your contacts are available online, in a meeting, or presenting.
- Set industrial-strength security for meetings.
- Broadcast online to a large audience.
- Present your screen during meetings or give control to others.
- Use Skype for Business in other Office programs to chat, call, or join a meeting with a click.
- Start conversations with IM, voice, or video calls. See when your contacts are available online, in a meeting, or presenting.
What features are currently implemented within UW-Madison's Office 365 environment?
At this time, you can only use the instant message feature within Skype for Business in Outlook on the web.
What is Instant Messaging (IM)?
Instant messaging (IM) is a type of online chat which offers real-time text transmission over the Internet.
Can I use Skype for Business desktop client?
No. Due to the Voice over IP (VOIP) project, at this time, only users who are configured within the VOIP on-premise installation can take advantage of Skype for Business clients. In the near future, this installation will be decommissioned - at that time, all Office 365 users will be able to use the Skype for Business desktop clients.