Office 365 - Getting Started with Microsoft Teams
Microsoft Teams is the chat-based workspace in Office 365. It's the hub for team chats, calls, meetings, and messages. Microsoft Teams is extensible and customizable, and it's secured and standards-compliant to make sure your company's most sensitive collaborations are private.
Note: Microsoft Teams is a separate application that you can integrate with other Office 365 features such as Groups. For more information about Groups, please view: Office 365 - Getting Started with Groups
Microsoft Teams and Office 365
- Who can create a Microsoft Team?
Any UW-Madison Office 365 user who has a Microsoft Teams license.
- Who can access Microsoft Teams?
Only accounts that have an Office 365 Teams license -Service Accounts cannot access Microsoft Teams.
- What email address should you use to login into Teams application?
You can use any UW-Madison Office 365 email address.
- Who can be invited to a Microsoft Team?
Any Office 365 account which has a Teams license can participate within the Microsoft Team. As an example, if a user outside of UW-Madison's Office 365 implementation (e.g. a UWHealth Office 365 user) is invited to a Team, that user must have an Office 365 account licensed for Teams within their environment to successfully interact with the Team.
- How is Microsoft Teams different from Office 365 Groups?
Microsoft Teams is built upon Office 365 Groups and provides a new way to access shared assets for an Office 365 Group. Microsoft Teams is the best solution for persistent chat among group/team members.
- Can I add a Microsoft Team to an existing Office 365 Group?
Yes. When creating a new team in Microsoft Teams, an owner of an existing private Office 365 Group has an option to use the membership in the Office 365 Group to create the team.
- Can I create a new Teams using the Microsoft Teams app?
Yes - but when a new team is created via Microsoft Teams application, the Office 365 Group associated with that team will no longer show in Outlook. The group will not be visible in the Outlook left hand navigation and will not be visible in the address book. Additionally, the group name will not resolve when attempting to resolve the address while authoring a new mail message in Outlook. Make the group visible in Global Address List and Outlook clients.
- Can I add Microsoft Teams to an existing Yammer group?
Yammer groups can't be activated into Microsoft Teams. However, you can add a Yammer feed as a connector to a channel in Microsoft Teams.
- When an existing Office 365 Group is associated with a team in Microsoft Teams, what happens to the group conversation?
The group email conversation remains in Microsoft Outlook. In Microsoft Teams, Office 365 Group members can use chat to communicate in a separate service within Teams.
- Recording a meeting in Teams is disabled. The recording feature requires Microsoft Stream to be enabled. Stream is currently disabled and is in the process of being vetted for campus use. If Microsoft Stream is enabled, the Office 365 - What features are included in Office 365 KnowledgeBase document will be updated.