Topics Map > HRS Security > Training
HRS Access Guide - Training
This document provides an overview of the HRS Access Guide - a series of KB documents providing guidance about HRS access for UW-Madison users, including requesting access, finding training, and fulfilling security requirements.
This document contains information about the various mandatory and optional training resources related to HRS.
Security Awareness Training
All new core HRS users (any HRS user that has access to other people's data, excluding manager self-service, time reporting, and e-benefits), including users who only have UWBI/OBIEE access, must complete an online HRS Security Awareness course. Users must complete the course within 30 calendar days after receiving the email or they will be locked out of HRS. Users are able to access HRS before completing the training, but they will lose access if they do not complete the training within 30 days.
- Users who need to complete the HRS Security Awareness course will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org with subject Welcome to HRS! Emails are sent at 4PM on the day that the user's access is granted.
Click image to enlarge
- Follow the instructions in the email to navigate to and complete the HRS Security Awareness course online within 30 days of receiving the email.
- Users will be emailed ahead of time if their access is at danger of being locked due to not completing the training. After 30 days, the user's HRS account will be locked and they will need to complete the training and send an email to UW-Shared Services (email@example.com) to have their account unlocked and regain HRS access. This will not require a new HRS access request.
- If the user still has not completed the training after 60 days, their HRS roles will be removed and their HRS accounts will be unlocked. A new HRS access request will need to be submitted to grant them HRS access again.
Existing core HRS users must complete the HRS Security Awareness course annually. Users will receive an email from UWSS when they are required to complete a new annual training. If a user does not complete the training within the timeline described in the email, their HRS account will be locked and they will need to complete the training and send an email to UW-Shared Services (firstname.lastname@example.org) to have their account unlocked and regain HRS access. This will not require a new HRS access request.
Additional Pay (Addl Pay)
Employees who perform Payroll functions may need access to Additional Pay (often shortened to "addl pay") pages in HRS. Do not add Addl Pay roles into your requests! These roles require training before they are granted. If an employee needs Addl Pay access, please email OHR Payroll (Payroll@ohr.wisc.edu), who will ensure the required training is complete and then notify UWSS and OHR HRIS to submit requests for the appropriate roles.
Optional Additional Training
Depending on the user's roles, there may be additional optional HRS training they can complete. Visit the UWSS My Learning Path page to check additional courses you are eligible for.
The UW-Madison Office of Human Resources offers a few courses online and in-person to help HRS users learn how to navigate the system. Visit the Office of Talent Management online catalog to register for any of these courses.
- Introduction to UW-Madison - HRS and Related Technologies - Online - This course provides an overview of HR technologies used at UW–Madison such as HRS, JEMS, TREMS. Topics covered are location of resources, basic human resources concepts, and an overview of the commonly used technologies. This course provides a foundation for other HRS and related technology learning opportunities.
- HRS Basics Part 1 - Online - HRS Basics is the first in a series of classes for HR and Payroll professionals at UW Madison. This class will cover the general use for Modify a Person, Job Data and Time and Labor Security in HRS. In addition, you will learn how to use the payroll calendar and how the timing of data entry into HRS affects an employees payroll.
- HRS Basics Part 2 - In-Person - HRS Basics is the first in a series of classes for HR and Payroll professionals at UW Madison. This class will cover the general use for Modify a Person, Job Data and Time and Labor Security in HRS. In addition, you will learn how to use the payroll calendar and how the timing of data entry into HRS affects an employees payroll.