Work Permits For High School Students
(608) 204-4100 -- West High School
(608) 204-1600 -- East High School
(608) 266-6860 (Madison) or (414)-227-4384 (Milwaukee) -- Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development
Apply and Pick-up Work Permits
Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development:
201 E. Washington Ave. Rm. A100,
Madison, WI 53708
819 N. 6th St, room 723
Milwaukee, WI 53203
Most Wisconsin employers hiring or permitting minors’ ages 12-17 years to work must possess a valid work permit for each minor before work may be performed. The work permit establishes a minor’s proof of age and insures that the employer, parent/guardian, and minor are aware of the state child labor laws and regulations.
Information on work permits for high school students is available through high school administrative offices.
Other locations that sell work permits in the Madison area and across the state can be found via the website.Requirements:
- Letter from employer expressing intent to hire (with job description, address, phone number, and hours of work)
- Letter from parent or guardian
- Proof of age (birth certificate/baptism or passport) Or driver's license
- Minor's Social Security card - must have original, not a copy!
- $10 fee