Environment, Health and Safety, Department of
Phone (608) 265-5000 -- General Information
Fax (608) 262-6767
30 East Campus Mall
Madison, WI 53715
Administers programs to promote safe work with biological, chemical, mechanical and radiation hazards, Lake Mendota water safety and occupational health. Services include training; safety information; laws, regulations, regulatory compliance and liaison with regulatory agencies; personal protective equipment (including prescription safety glasses authorized through UW departments); investigation and resolution of safety and environment related problems; and management of hazardous wastes.
Mission statement is "to ensure the health and safety of people, buildings, and the natural environment at UW-Madison and associated facilities."
They seek to accomplish this mission through professional services, technical expertise, strong partnerships and regulatory oversight.
Operating principles include:
- Providing the highest quality service by ensuring that our departmental staff have up-to-date knowledge and are highly trained experts in their field.
- Providing EH&S staff the opportunity and resources they need to do their jobs effectively.
- Serving as stewards of the university’s resources by protecting its people, buildings, and natural environment.
- Leading by example, making sure we ourselves are in compliance with the regulatory mandates we expect others to follow.
- Working through institutional committees, we believe in making important policy decisions with the input and involvement of interested parties.