National Historic Landmark Buildings at UW-Madison

The University is home to five National Historic Landmarks. This is the most prestigious historic honor a building can achieve. Only about 3% of buildings listed in the Register of Historic Places are National Historic Landmarks.

Armory and Gymnasium
716 Langdon Street
The Red Gym was originally built for military training and recreation activities. It is now home to the Multicultural Student Center, International Student Services, Center for Leadership and Involvement and various other university offices. It was dedicated as a National Historic Landmark in 1993.

Bradley Harold, C. House
106 N. Prospect Ave
Constructed in 1909, this is one of two residences to which Sullivan contributed (the other being the Babson House in Riverside, Illinois) just after his peak as a skyscraper architect. It is an excellent example of Prairie School design. It is now used as the Sigma Phi Society house by the University of Wisconsin.

North Hall
1050 Bascom Mall
Designed by architect John F. Rague, this was the first University building. Originally called North Dormitory, it housed the entire university for four years. It has been a National Historic Landmark since 1965.

The Dairy Barn
1915 Linden Drive
The Dairy Barn was designed by J.T.W. Jennings and completed in 1897. It is still used by the department of dairy science. It became a National Historic Landmark in 2005 and is the only barn to achieve this honor.

Science Hall
550 N. Park St.
Science Hall was completed in December of 1887. It replaced the original that had burned in 1884. It became a National Historic Landmark in 1993. It now houses the state cartographer's office, the cartography laboratory and the geography department.

Keywords:red gym armory national historic landmark science north hall dairy barn history architecture history   Doc ID:10272
Owner:Geoff M.Group:Campus and Visitor Relations
Created:2009-06-04 19:00 CDTUpdated:2016-06-08 10:02 CDT
Sites:Campus and Visitor Relations
Feedback:  5   1