This document describes a known issue where some media embedded with the Kaltura MediaSpace main + download player does not allow users to click the download button and immediately download the source file for that media entry in some cases.
This affects some users who created embed code from Kaltura MediaSpace via the Share → Embed function, and select the "Main + download video player". After embedding the media when Chrome browser users click on the download button, a new tab opens but the media does not download. This affects some media that was embedded with a download player previous to 7/16/20.
The vendor was notified and fixed how MediaSpace created embed code on 7/16/20. Media embedded with the download player previous to this may be effected by the issue. Media embedded after 7/16/20 is not effected by it.
There are a few workarounds for both users who are embedding the video and users who are trying to view and download the video.
For users who are trying to view and download a video
- Users can use Firefox to view the page with the embedded media. Clicking the download button will download the file as expected.
- Users can click into the URL bar in Chrome and click ENTER. The source file will download.
For users who are embedding a video using the download player
- Canvas users can embed the video using the "Main video player with downloads button" with the Kaltura-Canvas workflow (outlined in Canvas - How to upload and embed a video in Canvas using Embed Kaltura Media ). Media embedded with this method will allow users to click the download button on the video in Canvas and work.
- You can re-embed media using embed code from MediaSpace after 7/16/20 and the embed code will work correctly with Chrome.
- You can edit the existing embed code to remove the following line of text:
sandbox="allow-forms allow-same-origin allow-scripts allow-top-navigation allow-pointer-lock allow-popups allow-modals allow-orientation-lock allow-popups-to-escape-sandbox allow-presentation allow-top-navigation-by-user-activation"
Once removed from the embed code, the download button should function as expected in Chrome.