Red Gym / Armory and Gymnasium
(608) 262-6252 -- Assistant Facility Manager
716 Langdon Street
Madison, WI 53706
The Red Gym is a registered National Historic Landmark. It was built in 1894 at a cost of $127,000 and its original purpose was as a military training facility as well as an athletic and student activity center. Basketball games were played on the second floor of the Red Gym until the Field House opened in 1930.
Military use of the building declined in the 1920s and 30s, but athletic uses continued into the 1950s and 60s when newer facilities were constructed at the Natatorium. The ROTC continued to use the Red Gym as an athletic facility and headquarters into the 1960s and in January 1970, arsonists firebombed the building and caused extensive damage, intending to target the ROTC offices, although the arsonists missed their target.
The Red Gym was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1993. It was renovated in 1998, costing approximately $13 million.
The following services are currently housed in the Red Gym:
Gender and Sexuality Campus Center (formerly LGBT Campus Center) (265-3344)
Morgridge Center for Public Service (263-2432)
International Student Services (ISS) (262-2044)
Multicultural Student Center (MSC) (262-4503)
Office of Multicultural Arts Initiative (OMAI) (890-1006)
POSSE Program (890-4385)
Center for Leadership and Involvement (CfLI) (263-0365)
International Academic Programs (IAP) (265-6329)
Study Abroad Resource Center (IAP) (265-6329)
Undergraduate Research Scholars Program (URS) (890-3696)
A web version of the booklet 'The Old Red Gym, Gateway to the Future' (published in 1997) can be seen at http://hum.lss.wisc.edu/uwhist/redgym.html.
There are several rooms in the Red Gym which may be reserved by university departments and student organizations. Please contact Campus Event Services Office < https://union.wisc.edu/host-your-event/meetings/ > at (608) 262-2511 for assistance in reserving a space.