Tips for Law School instructors with using the campus Zoom license.
DoIT's list of default settings -- https://kb.wisc.edu/zoom/105432
Attendence -- use a usage report (login to https://uwmadison.zoom.us/profile and the follow from STEP 2 at https://csuf.screenstepslive.com/s/12867/m/59146/l/1219888-taking-attendance-in-a-zoom-meeting
NOTE: You must also have, in meeting settings, "only authenticated users can join: sign in to Zoom" checked.
Webpage Vs Desktop
- Webpage -- allows breakout groups and polling, recording needs to be turned on in settings (see below)
- Desktop app -- allows recording, no breakout groups or polling
- MS Teams plugin -- allows recording, creates zoom sessions with no start/stop (can be re-used indefinitely)
- basic start page: https://uwmadison.zoom.us/
- see meetings: https://uwmadison.zoom.us/meeting#/upcoming
- see profile (settings): https://uwmadison.zoom.us/profile
Login in (go to link above first):
- You can use google if you use your email@example.com
- Recommended SSO -- domain is uwmadison; then sign in as normal to the UW login and MFA pages.
Some good documentation:
- https://kb.wisc.edu/search.php?q=zoom (full list of topics)
- hosts & co-hosts can't raise hands, they can lower hands
- have to click the "participants" so that you can see the participant list, then at the bottom there are buttons for raise hands, mute, etc
- Use your NetID@wisc.edu email address (not your firstname.lastname@example.org). Zoom doesn't understand the email@example.com so using your firstname.lastname@example.org will help keep confusion to a minimum.
- Recommended to create a template -- set the settings as recommended in the next section, and use to create a template to make for quick meeting setup in the future (click on meeting to get meeting info -- not edit -- and save as template is an option)
- Enable Join before host
- Mute participants on entry
- Only authenticated users can join
- Use waiting room or passcode (or both) security code is recommended for classes without waiting room (avoids lots of clicking).
- default video to off both host and participants (turn on after joining)
- Audio -- both (allows both telephone and computer audio)
- see note below on Hosts
- NOTE: If using the MS Teams plugin (not recommended) set the start recording option as desired.
- Are automatically deleted after 30 days. Need to move them to Kaltura to be available for the full semester.
- Contact email@example.com -- DoIT has licenses but they are allocated on as needed basis. We'll assist you in obtaining them.
- Add Outlook integration to make scheduling easier
- Zoom also has a MS Teams plugin, however, it isn't fully featured and not recommended.
Sharing an iPad -- need to enable screen sharing
Muting -- you can disallow participants from unmuting themselves --
How to turn on Recording (local)
more to come