Until you're used to Eloqua, it can be easy to miss a detail. Here's a handy list of items to check before you send!
- Check that your Email Group matches the type of email you are sending. Remember, an Email Group is a type of content not a list. You want to ensure your email is categorized with the correct Email Group, so the footer (and its linked subscription options) is correct. This also prevents you from sending to contacts who have opted out of this type of email.
- Ensure your subject line and preview text have been finalized. Are there any typos or misspellings? Did you leave in words such as "Draft," "Final," or "Check this test send"? Preview text is not required, but subject lines are.
- Update the Sender Name and Sender Email Address. Remember, these should match what your organization has decided to use. The Sender Name should be accurate (You can't say this email came from Beyonce), whether it's an organization or a person. The Sender Email Address must end in @explore.wisc.edu but you want to customize the first part with what your organization has decided to use.
- Set your Reply-to Name and Reply-to Address. Remember, whomever you put in these fields will receive the replies to this email. If someone hits reply when they get this email, who should receive that message? The email address can be a person's address or a shared/service mailbox, but it should be a real inbox that receives mail (that is being checked).
- Ensure the rest of the settings have been left alone. Bounceback Address, Virtual MTA, Encoding and the rest of the settings have already been set up correctly. You can double-check that no one changed the settings by comparing them with the Email Settings KB article.
- Preview. Look at your email using the Full/Mobile toggle in the upper right corner. Go to Actions > Preview ... to see your email in desktop, tablet and mobile format. (You will have to select a contact to "preview as" before you can view the email.)
- Test send. Navigate to Actions > Send Test to send a test send. In the blue window that appears, leave all settings alone, but enter the email address(es) you want to send to in the blank field To: field and select HTML Email or Text Email. Then click Perform Test. If you want to send a test to multiple email addresses, separate them with a comma. Note you must have added any email address you want to test send to the Eloqua database with your contact label. Test sending to different email accounts, browsers or apps, and devices will help you check your email's formatting.
- Spell check. Although Eloqua does not have a spell check, you can open a test send, select (Ctrl + A) and copy (Ctrl + C) all of the content and paste it (Ctrl + V) into Microsoft Word or another processing program to run a spell check.
- Check your links. Open a test send and click through every single link in the email to ensure they are all working appropriately. (Note that if you unsubscribe from your own emails, you need to resubscribe yourself before sending the email.)
- Ensure you aren't sending the same exact email to the same contacts. If you want to send an already sent email to different contacts, great! But if you are trying to send the same email even if you edited the content to a segment you already sent to, it will fail. Eloqua will not let you send the same email (as noted in the ID number at the end of the URL) to the same contact. If you want to send the same content, save the email as a new email by copying it or opening it and going to File > Save As.
- If your contacts should be able to opt into your list, make sure you add a subscription filter. Upon sending, Eloqua will automatically take out anyone who has opted out of your Email Group, but it will not add in new subscribers unless you add that filter to your segment. Please contact email@example.com if you need help setting up a Subscribed to Groups filter.
- Add yourself (and any other internal recipients) to your Segment. Remember that any contacts you want to send to need to have your user group's contact label. You also want to ensure your Email Group subscription status is set to subscribed.
- Double-check any filter criteria's "and/or" status, as well as "included/excluded" status. If you are using filter criteria, make sure that you are including or excluding the contacts you want to.
- Check your Segment's final count number against your expectations. Remember Eloqua will deduplicate email addresses that are listed twice!
- Name your campaign. If you have 300 campaigns called Untitled Campaign, life will get complicated.
- Double-check you have selected the correct Segment and Email. Don't forget the name of the Segment and Email are linked. You can click them to open the asset in a new tab! Save any changes you make and close the tab to return to your Campaign.
- Once you are ready to send or schedule, don't forget to Save and Activate! Just saving your Campaign saves your access. It does not cause it to send or schedule.
Would you like Lori to check over your send? Send her an email to request a future timeslot.