How to access your HSLC Windows desktop computer when you are away from the office.
From your HSLC work computer
1. Find out the IP address
Open a browser and go to the following address: http://www.whatismyip.com/
You IP address will be a number that looks something like 128.104.###.###
Make a note of this number you will need it for the Remote Desktop Connection
2. Change your HSLC work computer's power settings so that it does not go into sleep mode.
Start Menu – Control Panel – Power Options – Change plan settings
Put the computer to sleep: Never
3. Check your Remote Desktop settings.
Start Menu – Computer (right click on) – Properties – Remote settings
Check box next to: Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop (less secure)
4. Leave your HSLC work computer on, but not logged in.
From the (Windows) computer being used to connect to your HSLC work computer.
1. Download and install the WiscVPN client called GlobalProtect
The GlobalProtect can run the following two ways:
2. Launch the GlobalProtect
Use the following server address: uwmadison.vpn.wisc.edu and click the Connect button.
Login with your NetID username and password
3. Open Remote Desktop Connection to your HSLC Work Computer
Start Menu – All programs – Accessories – Remote Desktop Connection
In the Remote Desktop Connection window under Computer:
Type in the IP address (128.104.###.###) of your HSLC Work Computer and click Connect
The Windows Login for your HSLC Work Computer will appear.
Type in the same credentials you use to login while you are at your desk, with the exception of adding MSAD\ before the username.
4. When finished with your remote desktop session, LOG OFF from the HSLC Work Computer.
Prevent data loss or corruption by never leaving files open on your remote desktop session.
Note about running WiscVPN -GlobalProtect