This page provides guidance for building the Fall 2021 schedule of classes.
We are following the Chancellor’s and Provost’s directive to re-establishing our residential experience and pre-pandemic levels of in-person instruction. We acknowledge that the state of the pandemic and public health guidance may force us to alter our approach.
As departments build their Fall 2021 schedule of classes, they should pay particular attention to:
- There will be only 3 instructional modes: in-person, hybrid, and online-only for the Fall 2021 term (see campus definitions here).
- Please consult the L&S policy on offering online and hybrid undergraduate courses and note that in-person modality allows for up to 25% of instructional interactions to happen outside of a physical classroom.
Departments may submit their requests (if any) to offer courses online or hybrid by Friday February 26, 2021. We expect departments to submit a small number of these requests, to effect a relatively small number of seats.
Fall 2021 Schedule of Classes Build
- We will be returning to our “initial” and “final” call model. Please review the “swim-lane” planning timeline visual” provided by the Office of Registrar for more details.
- As part of the curricular build process, remote offerings (SIS code R) from Fall 2020 will roll forward as in-person class sections.
- Facilities for these sections will be blank.
General assignment (GA) classrooms will not be assigned ahead of the release of the schedule of classes. GA room assignments will occur during the summer after the University will confirm classroom density and physical distancing expectations this Summer based on the course of pandemic and public health guidelines.
- Departments needing a GA space should request it as part of their curricular build process.
- For now departments should assign their locally-controlled spaces to classes as they normally would.
As always, departments are expected to adhere to campus policy regarding course scheduling (see the bullets below). The attention to these policies are heightened for Fall 21 for classroom assignment reasonings.
- As always, departments are expected to adhere to a day/time spread of the curricular offerings. Per campus policy, 1/7th of a department’s classes should be scheduled at each of the six prime time hours: 8:50, 9:55, 11:00, 12:05, 13:20, and 14:25. Departments should spread large class sections (those with enrollments 50+) evenly throughout the day and week.
- Departments are still encouraged to utilize the standard extended meeting pattern hours in the evenings (Monday-Thursday). L&S procedure for departments to request to teach an undergraduate course at a non-standard time should be consulted and followed if applicable.