This document will walk you through the steps necessary to send a request to Google to update the information displayed in their search results.
When updating or when first creating your site, content that you entered may not immediately update on Google or it may not exist there yet. You will need to use a few tools to prompt Google to crawl your site and update their search engine results:
Step 1: Setting Up Google Search Console
You will first need to create an account with Google Search Console and link your site to this account.
Step 2: Enabling Google XML Sitemaps Plugin
Next, you will need activate the Google XML Plugin on your site.
Step 3: Submitting Sitemap to Google
Use the following instructions to submit your sitemap to Google Search Console. This will prompt Google to crawl your site.
If your site is new and you just need the content to appear in Google Search results, you should be all set (step 4 not required).
Step 4: Asking Google to Re-Crawl/Re-Index Your URLs (optional)
This step is meant for users who have added new content since they launched their site and want to update what is appearing in Google search results for a specific page. Please make sure you have already performed steps 1-3 before beginning this step.
If you would like Google to be aware of recent changes to a page, you will need to ask them to re-index it using these steps:
- Login to your Google Search Console account
- Choose URL Inspection on the left
- Enter the URL that you’d like Google to re-index
- Select Request indexing
- Google will run a test on the URL. If no issues are found, the page will be queued for re-indexing. If any issues are found, you should fix them and then re-submit.
Note: Submitting an indexing request does not mean that Google will instantly refresh the content. This may take several days.
- WiscWeb - WordPress UW Theme - Adding Google Search Console To Your Site
- WiscWeb - WordPress UW Theme - Google XML Sitemaps Plugin
- WiscWeb - WordPress UW Theme - Adding a Sitemap to Google Search Console
- WiscWeb - WordPress UW Theme - SEO Tips for Google
- WiscWeb - WordPress UW Theme - Finding and Editing the Excerpt of a Page