This page contains details about the 2021 L&S TA Training.
Date & Time
Thursday, September 2, 2021. Plan to attend from 8:30am to 4:00pm CDT
Online via Zoom
Registration closes August 30. Please email Laura Schmidli with requests for late registration.
Log in with your NetID to our TA Training Course in Canvas. Then click “Enroll in Course” followed by “Go to Course”. Please complete the steps outlined here to finish your registration and get set up to attend.
Join us for a one-day virtual welcome and orientation for L&S teaching assistants. Before the event, new TAs can complete self-paced modules about campus policies and learn the basics of using our Canvas Learning Management System. The event on September 2 will focus on preparing TAs for their fall in-person classrooms. In the morning, we will connect with college leadership and consider self-care strategies. In later small group sessions, we will plan classroom activities, develop lesson plans, and practice classroom management strategies. There will be short breaks between sessions, and a longer break for lunch.
To participate fully, TAs will need to have technology and quiet space to join an all-day online conference. Technology includes a laptop or other device with a stable internet connection, headphones, webcam, microphone, a UW-Madison Zoom account, and the Zoom app (desktop, web, or mobile). TAs will receive more information upon registering, including how to request accommodations.
We want every Teaching Assistant to feel supported and energized. This training will focus on the outcomes listed below.
- Connect personally with peers and an experienced teaching fellow.
- Select strategies for self-care and supporting wellness during the semester.
- Link your TA role to undergraduate student success and the L&S mission.
- Discuss qualities of good teaching and connect these to your own skills and goals.
- Draft an active learning lesson plan for your course.
- Compare strategies for managing difficult classroom situations.
- Explain the basic features of Canvas relevant to your responsibilities as a TA.
- Identify supportive resources for answering key questions and helping your students during the semester.
- Remember essential policies relevant to your TA role.