Greater University Tutoring Service / GUTS Tutorial
Fall Office Hours (Office located in the Student Activities Center Office #4413)
Tuesday 4:00 pm-7:00pm
Closed Fridays and weekends
Summer Office Hours
Drop in Hours (Academic Year): -- begins the third week of the semester.
Sunday-Thursday -- 4 p.m.- 9 p.m.
Here's a Google Doc with the specific subjects taught during College Library drop-in: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qeCmmWsvJ06v5OBCTmQu-taPowH2bN0HmSHaCisVXUo/edit
Student Activity Center #4413
333 East Campus Mall
Madison, WI 53715-1380
A student-run, volunteer peer tutoring service which provides free academic assistance to any enrolled UW student. Assistance available in a number of areas
1) Drop In Centers: provide academic assistance on a short-term basis. Located at College Library as well as the SAC; see above for hours.
2) Academic Match: small groups (1-6 students) meet 2 hours each week with tutor to review work for a specific class.
3) Conversational English: provides assistance to international students wishing to improve their conversational English; matches international students with native English speakers for linguistic and cultural exchanges
4) Study Skills: individual or group counseling on note taking, concentration, procrastination, organization, exam preparation, test taking, test anxiety, reading strategies, time management, memorization and study techniques, and a series of written handouts on study skills.
5) Foreign Language Learners: matches UW volunteer tutors fluent in a foreign language with foreign language students for a weekly conversation hour.
6) McBurney Study Skills: is offered to students through the McBurney Disability Resource Center. Students schedule individual appointments with trained study skills specialists to discuss ways to study more effectively.
7) Give and Take: gives students the opportunity to acquire the tutoring they need in exchange for tutoring they are able to offer, by coordinating between the Conversational English and Academic Match programs.
8) Online Tutoring: A new program by GUTS due to launch Fall 2013. Provides students with online services to connect with tutors for quick help.
Visit the website to volunteer to become a tutor for GUTS