How to Declare a Major

Web -- Entrance Requirements for Undergraduate Majors -- Undergraduate Advising Resources for Students for declaring a major

In most cases, students should contact his/her program adviser to declare or apply for a major.

The following is cited from the 2013-2015 Undergraduate Catalog, "Entrance Requirements for Undergraduate Majors"

"Students should consult an adviser as early as possible to explore appropriate majors, and assure that they are preparing appropriately for their intended major.

Admission to UW-Madison does not necessarily guarantee admission to the major of a student's choice. Indicating an "intended" major on the application does not automatically enroll a student in a major. All majors have required procedures, and often prerequisites, for enrolling in the major.

Majors entered by declaration: Students enter some majors simply by completing a declaration of major form. All interested students who meet the minimum qualifications are admitted to the major. Students should review the program entry in the Undergraduate Catalog and contact the program adviser to declare the major.

Majors entered by application: Some majors have limited space and are entered by application. Entrance to these majors is competitive, which means that not all students will necessarily be accepted, even if they have the minimum qualifications. For programs that require a strong GPA for admission but don't specify a minimum GPA, the minimum GPA is listed in the chart as "competitive." Students should review the program entry in the Undergraduate Catalog and contact the program adviser to initiate the application process.

The chart below [see on < >] is a guide to the process for entrance into all UW-Madison undergraduate majors. For each major it indicates whether students enter by declaration or application; what requirements students must complete before they declare or apply to the major; when they should seek entrance into the major; and where to get complete, up-to-date information and advice or begin the entrance process.

Graduating in four years. Most majors can be completed in four years with good planning. A "yes" in the "4-year plan" column indicates that a plan for completing in four years is available from advisers. For more information see Graduating in Four Years."

Keywords:academic academics major declare CIVCREF   Doc ID:11399
Owner:Information Services Specialist .Group:Campus and Visitor Relations
Created:2009-06-24 19:00 CDTUpdated:2019-02-04 11:11 CDT
Sites:Campus and Visitor Relations
Feedback:  12   28