Voting -- Places to Register to Vote / City Clerks Office
Phone (608) 266-4601 -- City Clerk Office, Maribeth Witzel-Behl
Fax (608) 266-4666
Hours Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
103 City-County Bldg
210 Martin Luther King Jr Blvd
Madison, WI 53703-3342
If you are a U.S. citizen, will be 18 years of age on or before Election Day, and have been a resident of Wisconsin for at least 28 days prior to the election, you are eligible to vote. Effective April 4, 2014, proof of address is required with every voter registration. (See additional requirements on Wisconsin Voter Registration Application.)
Pre-register to vote
Registration is open until 5 p.m. 20 days before an election. During this period, referred to as 'open registration,' City of Madison residents may register to vote at any Madison Public Library or in the City Clerk’s Office.
Within 20 days of an election, also known as the 'closed registration', voters may register in the City Clerk’s Office with proof of address until the closing time of the City Clerk's Office on the Friday before the election (April 1, 2016 for this year's presidential primary).
On Election Day, voters can register to vote at your polling place with proof of address.
There is no registration the Saturday, Sunday, or Monday before the election.
Registering on election day
Wisconsin allows voters to register at the polls on Election Day, with one of the following acceptable forms of proof of residence:
- Utility bill issued within the last 90 days.
- Bank or credit union statement.
- Current and valid Wisconsin driver license or Wisconsin identification card.
- Real estate tax bill or receipt for the current year or the previous year.
- Document issued by a unit of government.
- Check issued by a unit of government.
- College fee statement issued in the last nine months, accompanied by student ID card.
- Affidavit from a public or private social service agency, on letterhead, identifying an individual who is homeless and indicating where that individual resides. Social Services Agency sample letter for homeless voters registration requirement
- Official identification card or license issued by a Wisconsin governmental body or unit
- Identification card issued by an employer in the normal course of business, which has a photograph of the cardholder, but not a business card.
- Residential lease effective on the day of registration (cannot be used if registering to vote by mail).
Voter Registration Application Forms
For absentee ballot requests, voter registration forms, confidential voter listings in English, Spanish, and Hmong http://gab.wi.gov/forms/voters