Voting -- Registering at the Poll Election Day / City Clerks Office



(608) 266-4601 -- City Clerk's Office

Hours Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m.

Room 103, City-County Building
210 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd
Madison, WI 53703

Persons who register or change their address at the polls on election day must present acceptable proof of residence. 

Any of the following may be used as proof if it contains the address of residence
  • A current and valid Wisconsin driver’s license or Wisconsin identification card.
  • Any other official identification card or license issued by a Wisconsin governmental body or unit
  • An identification card issued by an employer in the normal course of business, which has a photograph of the cardholder, but not a business card.
  • A real estate tax bill or receipt for the current year or the year preceding the date of the election.
  • A residential lease.
  • A UW-Madison or Edgewood College ID card with a photograph of the cardholder, if student is listed on certified housing list.
  • A utility bill for the period commencing not earlier than 90 days before the election.
  • A bank statement.
  • A paycheck.
  • A check or other document issued by a unit of government.
Students living in university residence halls must present an official document showing both their name and their residence hall address: i.e., bank statement, residence hall payment receipt, etc.; personal mail or magazines, etc, are NOT accepted. Students who feel they may be unable to prove their legal residency at their residence hall may want to vote absentee at their previous home.

Owner:Geoff M.Group:Campus and Visitor Relations
Created:2009-07-01 19:00 CDTUpdated:2016-06-24 11:45 CDT
Sites:Campus and Visitor Relations
Feedback:  0   0