Directory Search (Mac) - Configuring Thunderbird for White Pages
This document contains instructions on using a non-Microsoft email client, such as Apple Mail or Thunderbird. Microsoft does not recommend these clients for use with Office 365, and there are often significant limitations in client functionality as a result. Because of this, the DoIT Help Desk is only able to offer best effort support for these clients, and certain issues may require the use of a Microsoft client in order to be resolved. For more information on Office 365 client support, please see: Office 365 - Which clients/protocols will be supported?.
Best Effort Support Only
This service can be used to lookup e-mail addresses based on names as they appear in the University Directory Search.
- Open Thunderbird.
- Go to Thunderbird -> Preferences....
- Select Composition -> Addressing (Tab).
- Check the option Directory Server and click Edit Directories.
- Click Add button. A new window should appear.
- Enter the following:
- Name: Directory Search
- Hostname: ldap.services.wisc.edu
- Base DN: dc=wisc,dc=edu
- Port Number: 389
Note: SSL does not need to be checked, Authentication should be set to "None" and User name and Password need not be entered.
- Click OK.
- Click OK.
- On the "Composition" screen, make sure you have selected Directory Search from within 'Directory Server' select box.
Close the Composition pane by clicking on the red close button in the upper left hand corner.
- Thunderbird is now configured to use the LDAP server.
In some instances, you may experience problems with auto-completion. If so, please review the following document: http://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=5032.