When you change an advisor on a student’s record, any evidence of the previous information is removed from the system; however, you can view an audit log of the changes and deletions.
If you have a consistent mass change (e.g. replace advisor X with advisor Y), or other changes, see automated options on the Office of the Registrar website.
To change existing advisor information, follow the steps below:
From Home, select: Student Records WorkCenter, Student Advisor. The Find page will display.
Tip: Menu Navigation: > Records and Enrollment > Student Background Information Student Advisor
Use the Find page to locate the student's record. The student's information will display on the Student Advisor page.
Select Student Advisor page tab.
Depending on the student's advisor record, follow the proper process
If the Effective Date is prior to today, then change the Effective Date to current date.
If the Effective Date is a future date, then leave Effective Date as is.
Tip: You may need to change the Effective Date to the start of the next term if you don't find the program and/or plan for which you are looking. Term Begin and End Dates can be found using the following navigation: Student Records WorkCenter > Dean/Dept Processing > Session Dates and Deadlines.
Find the advisor row you want to change
Tip: Use the row counter bar to move around, or select View All.
Depending on what data needs to be changed, follow the proper steps.
If you need to change one of the following fields, Advisor Role, Academic Plan, Academic Advisor, or Committee
Select the Advisor Role, Academic Plan, Academic Advisor, or Committee you wish to update.
If you need to change multiple fields
- Update all the fields one by one
- Select the Delete button next to Advisor Number (the lower one).
- Select [OK] and verify that you want to delete the row.
- If needed, select the Add button for a new blank row.
- Using the Look up buttons, enter the new:
- Advisor Role
- Academic Career
- Academic Program
- Academic Plan (if used)
- Academic Advisor or Committee
- Changes to the Academic Career and/or Academic Program fields will cause the Academic Plan and Academic Advisor/Committee fields to be cleared. Tip: if the Academic Advisor or Committee will not be changing, copy the Academic Advisor ID number or Committee so that it can be pasted back in the Academic Advisor or Committee field after change is made.
- If the correct Academic Program, Plan, or Committee does not appear in the magnifying glass look up prompts with today's date, change the Effective Date to start of the next term. Term Begin and End Dates can be found using the following navigation: Student Records WorkCenter > Dean/Dept Processing > Session Dates and Deadlines.
- If the correct program or plan still does not appear, the changes may not have been processed yet or the Major Declaration may not have been submitted. You can check using the following navigation: Student Records WorkCenter > Major Dec History.
Select [Save]. The change is now saved to the student's record.