Until July 1, 2023, you will be able to use and collect any new data in your Universal Analytics properties. After that date, data will no longer collect in the Universal Analytics accounts and there will be a limited time to view and retrieve that data moving forward. This document will walk you through the process of converting your Universal Analytics account to a Google Analytics 4 account.
In this document:
- Setting up Google Analytics 4
- Updating Knowledgebase Group Spaces to GA4 property
- Creating a tag for GA4 in Google Tag Manager
On July 1, 2023, Google Analytics will stop using the standard Universal Analytics function to track data for your website. If you are still using Universal Analytics, it is recommended that you prepare to use Google Analytics 4 going forward. A Universal Analytics tracking code begins with a UA- (for example, UA-12345678-1). Depending on the service and tracking functionality, you will want to create a Google Analytics 4 property and update to this new measurement ID.
Setting up Google Analytics 4
Your first step in this process is to set up Google Analytics 4 to begin collecting data in that property. To start, log in to your correct account at https://analytics.google.com, and choose the correct property that you want to update. Once you have access to it, click the gear icon for Admin actions in the lower left portion of the screen.
- In the Property column, click the GA4 Setup Assistant option.
- In the next screen, click Get Started under the option for "I want to create a new Google Analytics 4 property"
- In the next screen, click Create property
- Click See your GA4 property. This will open a new window.
- In the new window, click Data Streams in the left column
- Click the account that you just created to access the Measurement ID value
- Scroll down to the Tagging Instructions section
- Expand the Global site tag section
- Copy the code that is presented
Update the Knowledgebase Group Space Analytics tracking
Be sure to have your global site tag code copied, and proceed to your Knowledgebase Admin area.
- Click on the SitePref tab
- Click on Google Tracking on the left
- Expand the panel for the Global Site Tag (either Internal or External, or both) that you need to update
- Highlight and remove the code that currently exists, and paste in the new global site tag code that you had copied from Google Analytics
- Click Update to commit these changes to your group space
Creating a tag for GA4 in Google Tag Manager
If you are already using Google Tag Manager with your Knowledgebase Group Space, you will likely only need to update your tag manager account to accept the new Google Analytics 4 measurement ID that you created.
- Make certain to still have your Measurement ID for your Google Analytics 4 property.
- Navigate to Google Tag Manager - https://tagmanager.google.com/
- Log in using the administrator account
- Click the Tags on the left
- Click New at the top right of your tags section
- In the upper left, give this new tag a name (ie. Google Analytics 4 Tag)
- Click in to the Tag Configuration section
- Choose the Google Analytics: GA4 Configuration option
- Paste in your Measurement ID in the appropriate field
- Click into the Triggering section
- Choose All Pages as the trigger
- Click Save in the upper right to update the changes to this tag
- To publish these changes to your Tag Manager, click the Submit button in the upper right corner and follow through the steps.