2:15 – 4:20 p.m. Thursday, May 5, 2022
53 Bascom Hall
Members Present: Jenny Dahlberg; Tim Dalby, chair; Stephanie Elkins; Shane Hubbard; Stephanie Jones; Mallory Musolf; Lindsey Stoddard Cameron; Bill Tishler
Guests: J.J. Andrews, Alissa Ewer, Julie Johnson, Beth Meyerand, Albert Muniz, Scott Wildman
The meeting was called to order at 2:15 p.m.
The minutes of April 28 were approved.
Guest: J.J. Andrews, Co-Chair, Committee on Undergraduate Recruitment, Admissions, and Financial Aid
J.J. discussed the 2020-21 annual report of the committee, which details four main findings and recommendations. First, the committee strongly supports the creation of a scholarship program for First Nations students that would function as a tuition waiver. Second, regarding the direct admissions process, the committee recommends creating more intentional communication to high school students about all admission options if they are not selected into their first-choice direct admission program. Third, the committee recommends more investigation and data collection be done to quantify how many students from underrepresented populations we’re losing to more competitive offers from other universities. Lastly, the committee has been discussing if the test-optional admissions policy should be made permanent; more data collection and analysis is needed before they make a final recommendation.
Motion to Convene in Closed Session Pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to Discuss Appointments to the Compensation and Economic Benefits Committee and the Memorial Library Committee, and Nomination to the Nominating Committee (Stoddard Cameron). Seconded. Approved.
Motion to Reconvene in Open Session (Dahlberg). Seconded. Approved.
and Nomination – for vote
Motion to appoint Dean Ludwig to the Compensation and Economic Benefits Committee and Colleen Baldwin to the Memorial Library Committee. (Stoddard Cameron). Seconded. Approved.
Motion to nominate Josh Cutler to the Nominating Committee (Stoddard Cameron). Seconded. Approved.
Guest: Beth Meyerand, Vice Provost for Faculty and Staff Affairs
Vice Provost Meyerand reported on the status of the staff climate survey. Initial data suggests there was a 35% response rate, but the numbers are not yet final. The estimated timeline is for data to be shared with the survey executive sponsors in mid-August, and shared widely with campus in the fall semester.
Efforts to create more centralized reporting on Hostile and Intimidating Behavior (HIB) are on pause right now given leadership changes on campus, but Vice Provost Meyerand is hopeful this can begin moving forward in the coming months. More than 90 people responded to the recent call for HIB liaisons; this is great news, as more have been needed. She is working with the Office of Human Resources to ensure a good distribution of diverse liaisons.
Vice Provost Meyerand provided an update on the use of professorial titles for academic staff. There are currently nine assistant teaching professors, one associate teaching professor, two teaching professors, two assistant research professors, five associate research professors, one research professor, and one professor of practice.
Vice Provost Meyerand met with Jake, Lynn Freeman and Patrick Sheehan to discuss supervisor training. The Office of Human Resources is working to identify how many employees are supervisors, and how many supervise more than one person. This will help determine how many people need training and will influence the training modality and curriculum. They are also working to catalog supervisor training that already exists on campus and determine how that could be used. ASEC suggested conducting a needs assessment of current supervisors to help inform the training.
On the topic of campus-wide diversity, equity, and inclusion curriculum, Chief Diversity Officer LaVar Charleston should have an update from the DiversityEdu vendor soon.
Tim Dalby, ASEC Chair, provided an update on the shared governance sessions with the Chancellor finalists. They have met with four of the finalists so far and the last interview is tomorrow.
Jake Smith, Secretary of the Academic Staff, informed ASEC that the Faculty Senate voted to approve the change in terminology from emeritus to emerit. Jake attended the recent meeting of the Ad Hoc Academic and University Staff DEI Committee and will work with them to help finalize their report. The report will be provided to ASEC in advance of the June 24 meeting, and will be formally presented to the Assembly in the fall. Jake met with Karen Massetti-Moran to discuss possible delays in the appeals process due to staffing issues on the compensation team, as well as processes for handling continued requests for new titles in the SJD library. Earlier in the week, the Employee Assistance Office (EAO) hosted a virtual Academic Staff Institute session around mental health in the workplace and setting boundaries, which was well attended. Nominations will open for ASEC chair and vice chair on May 19 and a vote will be held on June 9. Jake shared the most recent remote work statistics with ASEC.
· Discussion of Briefing Materials for New Chancellor
ASEC discussed a draft of the briefing document. A small group of ASEC members will meet to finalize the document before it’s submitted on May 6.
· Topics for Guests
spring semester wrap up, testing process for COVID and how case counts will be
monitored going forward, update on remote work communication
OHR: update on TTC appeals and delays, questions around new SJDs, update/feedback on remote work, update from System HR meeting, update on OHR searches, update on career services position
Meeting adjourned at 4:23 p.m.
Minutes submitted by Lesley Fisher, Deputy Secretary of the Academic Staff