This document will provide tips for reviewing independent study and outline how to update an independent study section.
Review tips for independent study sections
- Instructors will term roll with their sections.
- Each Independent Study instructor is assigned to a specific Class Section with a separate Class Number.
- If course Component type is IND and the Catalog Nbr is <+699, Add Consent must be set at Department or Instructor Consent Required (and a requisite requiring consent is attached to your course).
- General course information for Independent Studies courses will appear in the PDF Schedule of Classes; however, individual independent sections will not display. Individual class numbers are available in the Course Search & Enroll app.
How to update an independent study section
- From Home, select: Curric & Enroll Rep WorkCenter, Maintain Schedule of Classes
- Schedule New Course
Tip: Menu navigation: > Curriculum Management > Schedule of Classes > Maintain Schedule of Classes - or - > Schedule New Course.
Use the Find page to locate the desired course. Search by : Term, Subject Area, Catalog Number.
- If you need to change an existing section, then enter Session (A1 for Fall & Sp).
- If you need to add a section and the Class Section field is blank, then enter Session (A1 for Fall & Sp).
- If you need to add a section and the Class Section field already has a number displaying, then select [+] button to add a new section and then enter Session (A1 for Fall &Sp).
Enter Class Section number.
Note: Your department may have assigned a unique number to each instructor called a “conference number.” You may wish to use this number as the Class Section number. This number must be 3 digits.
Select Component type of ‘IND’ for Independent Study.
Verify Class Type is ‘Enrollment Section.’
Indicate the Associated Class number that coordinates with the Section number. You can select from unused associated class numbers from 1 to 9998.
Associated Class displays with the same number as the Class Section without the leading zero(s).
Change Instruction Mode to ‘P.’
- Do not enter a facility ID or meeting pattern.
- Make sure permission is set to ‘Instructor Consent.’