Testing Virtualized Software
Procedures for testing new virtualized applications
CAE can create virtualized applications for use in engineering courses. However, we do not have the knowledge and training to test each of the dozens of programs to the extent necessary to be sure that it will perform properly in a classroom setting. For this, we need the assistance of those of you who are familiar with the programs and use them regularly.
To test a virtualized application, please:
- Log in to a CAE lab machine. A list of locations can be found in the CAE Lab Information section of the CAE website.
- Make sure that all components needed for your course are available and open, start, or are called correctly.
- Make sure that all those components launch and function as expected. Please do some tasks that approximate the tasks you will require in class or as homework, to test the necessary functionality.
If you encounter an unexpected result, please contact CAE to tell us about the result. When doing so, please include
- the program you are using
- whether you are using a CAE lab computer or one that is managed by someone else
- what you were doing - include a script or set of directions if possible so we can reproduce the problem and test our solutions
- the error message
We would also like to know when everything is working as expected.
CAE appreciates your assistance with this as we work to provide course software in a way that best meets your needs.