2factor VPN (Win) - Installing AnyConnect VPN client on Windows
The 2factor VPN service uses the Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client to establish its tunnel. This document explains how to install that VPN client on Windows.
The AnyConnect VPN client is known to work with Windows 2000 SP4, Windows XP SP2 or later, and Windows Vista. Both 32-bit and 64-bit processors are supported for Windows XP and Windows Vista.
Installing and verifying the UW Digital ID certificate
- Confirm that you have obtained and subsequently installed your user UW Digital ID certificate in the Microsoft Certificate Store. Instructions for importing your certificate can be found at UW Digital ID (Win) - Installing your Digital Certificate.
- You can verify that the UW Digital ID certificate is installed properly by following the steps given in UW Digital ID (Win) - Verifying Proper Installation of Your Digital Certificate.
Once the UW Digital ID certificate has been installed, the AnyConnect VPN client can be installed via a web browser. The client can be installed in Internet Explorer via ActiveX (the standard method) or via a Java applet in other modern browsers.
- Open Internet Explorer and go to https://2factor.services.wisc.edu
- Internet Explorer should display a dialog box showing your certificate. Click OK
- Read the disclaimer and click Continue
- The application will first attempt to install the AnyConnect VPN client using an ActiveX control. A popup may appear warning you that an "information bar" has appeared, as shown below. If this appears, click Close
- Right-click on the information bar at the top of the page and click Install ActiveX Control...
- You will then receive an additional warning asking whether you want to install vpnweb.cab. Click Install.
- The installation should then proceed. Once it's complete, the VPN tunnel should then be established as shown below.
If Internet Explorer cannot run the ActiveX control "vpnweb.cab" run or if you are using another browser besides IE, the application will try to instead install the AnyConnect VPN client using a Java applet.
- Click Run when prompted to run the Java applet.
- The VPN Client Downloader should appear, as below, to download and begin the installation of the AnyConnect VPN Client.
- A Windows Installer window should automatically appear. When it has finished installing, the VPN tunnel should be established.
- You can learn the IP address that you were assigned by double clicking the AnyConnect icon in the system tray and finding the "Client Address:" displayed.
- You can start the AnyConnect client in the future by access https://2factor.services.wisc.edu with Internet Explorer or directly under the Cisco/AnyConnect Client/AnyConnect Client via the Start Menu (faster). When started, you may be prompted for a Username and Password, enter your netid for both. Please do not enter your netid password as it will not work.