KB Users Guide - General Info - New KnowledgeBase (KB) Site Creation Questionnaire
University of Wisconsin - Madison faculty and staff may request a KB site of their own. Those with UW credentials may view the look and feel of a KB site here. We have a four questions that we'd like UW site owners to answer.
- Your KB Content
- short term project documentation
- procedural documentation
- modify documentation currently on website
- modify documentation currently on Microsoft Word
- create an intranet-style site (e.g.documentation for internal use only entered in a proceduralized manner)
- create a wiki-style site (e.g. documentation for internal /or external use entered and modified by many authors)
- Your KB Site Name
- What would you like to name your KB site? (example: UW Bucky Reference )
- If one is available, is there a shortened version of this name? (example: UW Bucky Ref )
- What would you like for your preferred directory path name?(example: https://kb.wisc.edu/buckyref )
- Who will be the KB site administrator(s)?
- Admin first and last name(s)
- Admin email address(s) (Or, you can include a group list or wisclist here)
- Admin netid(s)
- KB Training
Please describe your target audience(s) and manner in which you intend to utilize/populate your KB. For example:
This information will help us design a comprehensive KB training to suit your specific needs.
Upon site creation, new KB admin(s) will be added to the firstname.lastname@example.org. This list receives a few emails a month notifying administrators about monthly KB Meeting minutes and changes to the KnowledgeBase.
The KB site admin will also be invited to the monthly KB advisory meetings (last Friday of every month at 11am). For more information on KB Site Admin responsibilities see: KB User's Guide - KB Site Administrator Responsibilities
There are two separate training sessions.
- Author training: we recommend setting aside 3 hours for author training, with the understanding that it could run anywhere from 2.5-3 hours, depending on questions. This session will cover:
- Document life cycle and workflow
- Editing process and key features
- Batch changes
- Content restriction
- Document sharing
- Admin training: we recommend setting aside 2.5 hours for admin training, though the run time is expected to be between 2-2.5 hours.
- Topics management
- Site layout
- Document sharing
- User management / authorizations
- Combined KB Training: we recommend setting aside 3 to 3.5 hours
- Request those who will be authoring KB documents to review all 7 items in this self-paced training material.
- The KB Trainer will quickly gloss over the content in this document, review other information for Authors and then move on to Admin Training
- Which training you will require?
- What are three dates and times of availability?
These training sessions can be combined or separate. Ideally, at least one of the dates and times you provide will be a good fit for our staff.
For your reference, here is the link to the KB User's Guide https://kb.wisc.edu/kbGuide
We will create both an internal KB site (NetID required to access) and an external KB site (available to anyone). Let us know if you don't need both sites.