Microsoft Outlook - Palm Pilot Synchronization Errors
This document details how to sync a Palm Pilot with Microsoft Outlook. The following instructions are valid for only Outlook 2000 and XP.
NOTE: Windows 95/98, Windows Me, Windows 2000, and Windows XP are no longer supported by the Help Desk. We can only provide best effort support. If we are unable to resolve your Windows 9x/2000/XP issue, you may be able to find help in Microsoft's Knowledge Base.
These products are no longer actively supported by Microsoft. No further development will take place on these products and security updates are no longer issued. It is highly recommended that you upgrade to Windows 8, 7, or Vista.
- Click on the HotSync Manager (red/blue arrows located in the taskbar).
- Click on Exit.
- Make sure that Outlook is not running (including any open e-mails or Outlook applications).
- Click on Start->Find->Files and Folders or Start->Search->For Files or Folders.
- In the Named: field, type in MAPI32.DLL.
- Find the MAPI32.dll that is in the C:\Windows\System or the C:\WINNT\System32 directory. The path depends on what operation system you are using.
- Right-click on the MAPI32.DLL.
- Select Rename.
- Rename the file to MAPI32.bak.
- Now in the Name: field change your search from MAPI32.DLL to FIXMAPI.EXE.
- Press Enter.
- Double-click on Fixmapi.exe.
- You won't see any obvious results, but it should have recreated MAPI32.DLL.
- Once more change your search parameter (name field) to Mapi32.dll.
- Press Enter.
- The file should be displayed and its size should be 128k.
- If you can not find the file then rename Mapi32.bak back to Mapi32.dll.
- Restart the HotSync Manager, Select Start->Programs->Palm Desktop->HotSync Manager.
- Open Outlook and re-synchronize.