The University of Wisconsin System is committed to safeguarding and protecting user information. IT security is a partnership between the University and the users of our systems.
We take every precaution to ensure the transmission and storage of user data is as secure as possible. The University of Wisconsin-Madison:
- Uses firewalls, encryption technology and other tools to ensure personal and restricted data is transmitted and stored in a safe manner.
- Adheres to all federal, state and university laws, regulations and policies pertaining to the handling of all personal data, which is provided by the user or visitor.
- Collects personal information only when the user is aware and consents to the storing of this information.
- Takes measures to ensure that only employees with a business need to know have access to your personal or restricted data.
By logging in and using the portal, you are agreeing to adhere to the following terms of service:
I. Appropriate Use
Individuals using this service are required to:
- Follow appropriate use guidelines for their campus.
- Protect the privacy and confidentiality of student, patient, employee and other institutional information in accordance with best practices, regulations and appropriate laws.
- Comply with all other applicable University policies, State and Federal laws, including copyright laws and the campus student code of conduct.
II. System Use
The portal is available to UW System employees with an active account.
- You are responsible for securely managing your user id/password. This includes not sharing your user id/password with any other person including anyone representing a campus help desk. If you believe your password has been compromised, change it immediately. Any e-mail or other communication requesting your password should be treated as unauthorized and suspicious.
- You are responsible for creating complex passwords. Refer to your campus password policy requirements for details on how to create a complex password.
- Keep all personal information such as your social security number, credit card and bank information, and mother’s maiden name private. If you are asked to provide any personal information, ensure you understand why you are providing it and how the information will be used.
- Clear your cache and restart your browser before allowing someone else access to your computer.
- Follow the steps for logging off any University computer, which is in a public place.
- NOTE: It is highly recommended that you only use your own personal computer or a University provided computer. Be aware that public computers available to the general public may cache files, which are inappropriate or may have viruses or malware which can lead to identity theft.
- You are responsible for complying with the Terms of Service of any services provided by your campus.
- You are responsible for any modification you make to any editable features of the portal. For example, adding links to My Bookmarks.
- Unauthorized authentication attempts or misuse of the portal should be reported to your campus security office.
- If you identify issues concerning the portal functionality, content or access, you can report the issue by emailing email@example.com.
III. Privacy Statement
UW-System respects the legitimate privacy interests of the portal users within appropriate limits for educational, ethical and legal reasons, subject to the following:
- The portal administrators routinely monitor the volume of the portal traffic for system management purposes.
- Usage may also be subject to security testing and monitoring.
- If the UW System receives a credible report that a violation has occurred, or if, in the course of managing the service, discovers evidence of a violation, then the matter will be referred for investigation, University disciplinary action, and/or criminal prosecution.
If you identify issues concerning the portal or have questions for the MyUW Portal Administration team, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.