WiscWeb - WordPress UW Theme - Account Eligibility and Obtaining Access
WiscWeb is a content management system intended for use by UW-Madison departments. More information about the service can be found on the About page on the WiscWeb website. This document walks you through the eligibility policy and how to obtain access.
- Eligibility Policy
- Getting Access
- Alternative Options
As a University-funded service, WiscWeb is approved for all faculty/staff/researchers for use on departmental/divisional websites. WiscWeb sites can be edited by anyone with an active NetID, but a full-time faculty/staff member must be designated as the primary contact for the site. WiscWeb sites are not intended for personal use.
Visit WiscWeb's Terms of Service for more information.
These classifications can request new sites and edit existing sites.
Eligible, if Editing a Department or Divisional Site and Have Active NetID
These classifications are not eligible to request new sites or to be site owners but can edit existing departmental/divisional sites. These groups cannot be primary administrators.
- Retired faculty/staff/emeriti (Not eligible for personal use)
- Students (Not eligible for personal use)
The following are not covered in the WiscWeb Terms of Service:
- Personal use sites
- Faculty profile sites (Lab sites accepted. More details in WiscWeb - WordPress UW Theme - Options for Faculty Profiles)
- Registered Student Organizations
- Student Organizations
- Sensitive/restricted data
- Sites protected at the root (protected intranets)
- Community/non-profit organizations and events (regardless of their relation to University research or initiatives)
- Sites unrelated to the goals and mission of the University
Visit the WiscWeb website for more information on how to get started.
Users can request a new WiscWeb site by filling out the New Site Request form.
Alternative Options for Sites Not Covered Under WiscWeb
The following options are recommended for sites that are not approved for use under WiscWeb:
- The Wisconsin Involvement Network (WIN) can be used for Registered Student Organization sites.
- Google Sites can be used for student org, personal, and faculty profile websites. Please note that while Google Sites is available to all students and staff, support for this tool is limited on campus.
- Free Content Management Systems (CMS) also can be used for student org and personal websites.
- Visit WiscWeb - WordPress UW Theme - Options for Faculty Profiles for options for faculty profile websites