Getting Windows 7 for Academic Purposes
This article explains how to use the the MSDN Academic Alliance Center to download software,such as windows 7.
Note: CAE does not offer support for software provided through the MSDN Academic License.
Note: This software is only available to enrolled students with active CAE accounts, for use on a personally-owned computer.
- Navigate to your CAE Account Management Page. On the left-hand side column of your account management page, you should see a link labeled "MSDN Academic Alliance".
- After following the link you should click the "software" tab. From here you can search for the software you are interested in.
- You will have the option of choosing between the 32 or 64 bit version of Windows 7
- Note that the x86 version of windows is actually the 32bit version
- Fill in any necessary information for your profile information. Click next and you should see your software list. Click the download link next to the software you want and you should be at the page seen below. Take note of the serial number here as you will enter it as you product key later in the install (the serial number has been blacked out in the image below). Click the download shown to download the Windows 7 downloader.
- You will now need to run the downloaded file. Simply follow the instructions that are given to you (note that this step may take a while).
- After you download it, you will be asked for a product key for activation. Use the serial number that was given earlier (see step 5).
- If you don't have the serial number, see this article that explains where to find your serial number for Windows 7.
- If you have reached the two activation limit, but don't have it installed on other computers, Microsoft may help you with activation over the phone.