Spirion (Identity Finder) - Using a Profile Password
This document describes the benefits and options of using a profile password in Identity Finder for Windows and Mac. All documentation was performed with Identity Finder 22.214.171.124.
All data presented is false.
This document contains the following topics:
- How do I set a profile password?
- What should you do if you forget a password? (Mac)
- What should you do if you forget a password? (Win)
- What if you do not want a profile password?
When Spirion is first launched, it asks for a password to create a user profile. While this can be skipped by clicking the Skip button, using a profile password provides numerous benefits and using one is strongly recommended.
These benefits include:
- Saving all user specified settings
- Using a single password to secure files and scan results
- Securely saving information entered into lists (OnlyFind, IgnoreList, etc)
- Your profile will be encrypted and password protected
It is much easier to remember a single strong profile password to secure results and files than keeping track of passwords for individual files.
Note: It is important to use a strong profile password. See the article NetID Password Criteria and Requirements for what constitutes a strong password.How do I set a profile password?
When you first Launch Spirion, you will be prompted for a profile password.
To set a profile password:
- Launch Spirion from your Applications folder.
- Enter a password into the window. By default, strong passwords are enabled for the Campus client. This requires that passwords are 8 characters in length and have an upper case letter, lower case letter, and a number or symbol.
- If your password is valid, Spirion will show a confirmation window and you will be taken to the main window.
- Your password is now set and you will be prompted for it each time you launch Spirion.
The profile password is not stored locally. If it is lost, you will lose access to the files, lists, and preferences associated with the profile. Your files are not deleted and you can access them later if you remember the password. To gain access to a profile again, you will need to delete your profile. You can delete your profile using Spirion or manually. To delete a profile in Spirion:
- Open Spirion and use and click cancel when prompted for a password.
- If window opens asking you to confirm using the Guest Profile, click OK.
- Open the Preferences menu by clicking the button.
- Make sure the profile tab is selected. Click the delete.
- Click Yes on the dialog box that opens to confirm you want to delete your profile.
- A confirmation window will open. You will need to relaunch Spirion to complete the process. You will be prompted for a new password when you launch Spirion again.
USER/Library/Application Support/Identity Finder/Identity Finder Mac Edition/identityinfo.dat
What should you do if you forget a profile password? (Win)
The profile password is not stored anyware, so if it is lost all access to data secured with the password is lost. This includes secured files as well as various settings and lists you have specified.
If you have lost your profile password, you will have to delete your profile using Spirion and create a new one. You can delete it using Spirion or by deleting the profile file.To use Spirion to delete your profile:
- Launch Spirion.
- Click Skip when Spirion opens.
- Click OK in the dialog box that appears.
- From the Main Identity Finder Window click the Configuration Tab and then click the Settings button.
- Make sure the Profile tab is selected, then click the Delete button on the page.
- Click Yes on the dialog box that appears to confirm and then click OK.
- Your profile is now deleted and Spirion will ask for a password to create a new profile when it is restarted.
To delete a profile manually, delete the file listed in the directory below that corresponds to your operating system where USER is replaced with your computer login name. Spirion will prompt you for a new password to create a new profile when it is launched.
XP/2003: C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Local Settings\Application Data\Identity Finder\identityinfo.dat
Vista/7/8/2008+: C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Identity Finder\identityinfo.datFor additional information on losing a profile password, visit Reset Profile Password.
Using a profile password is required if you wish to save your settings in Spirion. It is also highly recommended to use a profile password to secure files and results as opposed to individual passwords for every secured file or results file. It is easier to remember one password as opposed to several and risk losing access to your data.
However, it is possible to not use a profile password if you choose not to. You can use Spirion's Guest Profile by always choosing Cancel when Spirion launches by following steps 1 and 2 above.