This document describes the Student Team Lead position at the Help Desk.
Student Team Lead
DoIT Help Desk Support Staff
Division of Information Technology (DoIT)
University of Wisconsin - Madison
This is a 15-20 hour per week student position, which is part of the Help Desk Student Leadership Program. The position is for a minimum of two semesters. The Student Team Lead, in conjunction with the Level 1 Team Leads and Supervisor, is responsible for managing both the Level 1 staff and day-to-day functions of the University of Wisconsin-Madison DoIT Level 1 Help Desk.
The Student Team Lead position is a challenging yet exciting role that encompasses an array or responsibilities and duties such as: hiring, training, scheduling, and coaching. The position and the Student Leadership Program provide the student employee with technical and managerial skills along with on-the-job experience that will benefit them when they finish college and continue in their chosen career.
This position reports to the Level 1 Team Leads. Student Team Leads will earn $17.50 an hour.
40% Team Management
- Be an available resource to answer questions and assist agents
- Monitor daily schedule, staff levels, and case call/case volume
- Oversee call resolution and support escalation
- Review cases and coach agents on an ongoing basis
- Assist in planning & implementing business strategies, policies, and procedures
40% Special Projects
Lead an initiative annually focusing on a major component of Help Desk operations, current examples include:
- Hiring - Create the application, communicate with applicants, schedule interviews, and coordinate with current staff to assist with process.
- New Staff Training - Create and update presentations, secure and prepare training resources, and coordinate with full-time staff.
- Coaching and Staff Development - Focus on recognizing great work and help individuals and the team constantly improve
- Scheduling - Create the schedule for the semester trying to accommodate for all requests for work time and vacation time.
- Community and Communication - Help create a great place to work by focusing on initiatives to engage staff including, but not limited to, feedback sessions, get-to-know the staff games, and timely communication about changes.
The technical or operational project will be designed to achieve significant quality or business process improvements. For the purpose of the project, the Student Team Lead will work with the Level 1 Team Lead.
15% Help Desk & Customer Support
Use developed skills along with support tools such as incident management software, automatic call distribution system, and knowledge bases to respond to customer requests and help agents triage cases.
5% Professional Development
Complete training as assigned. Student Team Leads will have the opportunity for professional development such as Student Leadership Program sponsored seminars and meetings.
Experience and Skills Required
- Minimum two semesters (summer counts as a semester) of Help Desk experience along with successful completion of Pick 3, Pick 6, & Chat/Email Training.
- Willingness to complete Walk-in and HDQA training if necessary as this position will involve working these shifts
- Ability to:
- Thrive in the Help Desk environment including a strong record of customer service, analytical and troubleshooting skills, and case notes.
- Achieve successful outcomes through personal and group interaction with others often in difficult situations.
- Address challenges and follow through on proposed solutions through to completion.
- Communicate clearly and concisely through oral and written communication.
- Balance multiple priorities and projects working both independently and as part of a team.
- Lead a team of peers.
- Initiate and execute beneficial projects for Help Desk productivity and involvement.
- Ability to complete the Digital ID training and provide credentialing in person.