BN - Self Service Benefits Enrollment for New Hires (eBenefits)
The purpose of this guide is to assist you with the HRS Benefits Self Service enrollment process. It is intended to be used by New Hires.
- Login and password information for accessing your MyUW System Portal or MyUW Madison Portal and associated Self Service module.
- Research your available benefits options and make your enrollment decisions prior to beginning your enrollments. We estimate it will take one hour to complete this process. Take your time and be sure to thoroughly read each screen you are presented with before moving to the next.
- You cannot enroll in a Tax Sheltered Annuity 403(b) Program (TSA) or Wisconsin Deferred Compensation (WDC) plan through Self Service. You must complete a Salary Reduction Agreement form for any TSA plan, or enroll on line for WDC. More information and enrollment forms for all Benefit Plans can be accessed at the UW Service Center website. TASC Parking and Transit are also not available via Self Service. You will need to print out and complete an Parking and Transit enrollment form and submit it to your benefits office.
- Dependent(s): dates of birth, marital status, social security numbers, their tax status.
- If your dependents have other coverage or are covered by Medicare, you will need the name of the insurance company and the subscriber ID number
Remember you have only 30 days from your Date of Hire to complete your Self Service enrollments. Once the status is submitted, you will only be able to make changes the day of your submission. Otherwise, if changes need to be made, paper applications are necessary and you will have to contact your Benefit Administrator.
1. Upon logging into your My UW System Portal (my.wisconsin.edu), locate the Benefit Information section. If you have an opportunity as a New Hire to enroll through Self Service, you will see a message informing you that you can access your benefit Event.
2. Click on the provided link to take you to the enrollment screens.
3. Some basic information about your event will be displayed. To begin the process of enrolling in benefits, click the Select button.
4. The Enrollment Summary screen will appear. To begin making choices, click Edit next to the plan you wish to enroll in.
5. Benefit Plan options that you are eligible to enroll in will be listed for you. Since State Group Health has more options than can be displayed on the screen, use the filter buttons to help narrow down the plans. Choose HDHP or Non-HDHP for High Deductible Health Plan options and/or State Group Health with or without Dental.
6. Based on the filters chosen, a list of Benefit Plans will display. To choose a plan, click the radio button next to that option. (For more information on a specific plan, click the name of the Benefit Plan. The hyperlink will open a new window to the Benefit Plan's website.)
7. After making a selection, scroll down to begin adding your dependents. This option becomes available once you click on a plan selection. Click the Add a Dependent or Beneficiary button to begin. The following screen will present a summary of dependents that are associated with your record.
8. In the next window, you are required to enter all of the relevant information for your dependent (i.e. First Name, Last Name, Gender, Date of Birth, SSN, Relationship to Employee, Marital Status). NOTE: Enter all dependent names using CAPITAL letters.
9. Once you have entered the information, scroll down and click the Save button. You will be returned to the summary screen.
10. To add additional dependents, click the Add a Dependent or Beneficiary button and repeat steps 7 and 8. If you have entered all dependents, click the Return to Event Selection link at the bottom of the page.
Warning! Enter all your dependents during this initial process, regardless of which plans you will be enrolling them in as it will make the process more efficient. Be sure to click SAVE after adding each dependent.
12. After you have selected all dependents to be covered, click Continue.
13. You will be brought to the Election Summary screen. This screen will provide information regarding your plan choices, including: the Benefit Plan and coverage level; your estimated monthly costs; the dependents you have chosen to be covered under this plan; and a notes section that will list important information such as the date that your coverage becomes effective.
14. If you want to store your choices, click the OK button. When you click OK, the HRS system stores your choices but does not submit them yet. Even though you haven't officially enrolled in any plans yet, if you were to time out from the system, log out, or navigate away from the page your choices would be saved until you go back in to submit and finalize your enrollments.
15. If you would like to return to the Enrollment Summary screen, you can click the Edit button. You will be able to review the Benefit Plans you initially chose, along with the before and/or after tax costs.
16. You may continue to make benefit selections by clicking the Edit button next to the plans you choose to enroll in. Dependents will already be listed, as you have previously entered them into the system.17. Once you have completed all of your enrollment selections, scroll to the bottom of the screen to view a brief summary of the total costs of your benefits elections, and the before and after tax costs. Again, to make any changes scroll up and click Edit next to the plan you wish to update, cancel, or enroll in.
18. If you accept the costs and plan selections, and are ready to submit your choices, click the Submit button to temporarily store your enrollments.
19. Once you have verified that all information is correct, click Submit a second time to send your enrollment choices to the HRS database. If you are not yet ready to finalize your elections, you can click Cancel to return to the previous selection screens and continue to make changes. To verify that the enrollments have gone through as expected, your status will change to Submitted on the initial Benefits Enrollment page.
20. Once you have submitted your elections, you can review them by accessing the Benefit Information screen using the MyUW System or MyUW Madison portal. A Confirmation Statement will also be sent to your primary email address and saved to the portal the day after your submission. Please be sure to verify that all premium deductions appear as expected on your upcoming payroll checks and notify your institution Benefit Administrator of any concerns or issues.