This document explains how to manually uninstall and remove all Symantec products when the usual way of uninstalling programs has failed. Before following the procedures in this document, you should attempt to uninstall Syamntec using their included utility first:
|Potential for data loss||CAUTION: Please make sure your important data is backed-up to Bucky Backup or an external storage device (such as a CD, DVD, or external hard drive) before attempting this procedure. DoIT assumes no liability for data loss that occurs as a result of this procedure.|
Windows 7, Vista and XP
- Download CleanWipe and extract the zip file: right-click the file, select Extract All... and then follow the instructions.
- Open the extracted folder and find CleanWipeStub.exe.
- XP: double-click on the file.
- 7 and Vista: right-click on the file and select Run as administrator.
- Click Start. CleanWipe will extract its files to a temporary folder.
- Once the files are extracted, CleanWipe should start automatically. Click Yes to continue.
Note: In 64-bit versions of Windows, CleanWipe cannot launch automatically after extracting files. You will need to launch CleanWipe manually if it doesn't prompt you to run, or if you see the following error message:
To run CleanWipe manually, open C:\Windows\Temp\CleanWipe\app, right-click on RunCleanWipe.bat and choose Run as administrator.
- A window should pop up explaining which applications CleanWipe will remove. Click OK to continue.
- CleanWipe prompt you with a series questions asking what you want removed from your computer. Answer Yes to all of them.
NOTE: If you have any active programs you may miss these prompts as they appear under other open windows. If you don't see a pop-up window check the taskbar to bring up these windows.
- CleanWipe will present you with a summary of your choices. Verify that they match what is shown below, and click OK to begin CleanWipe.
- CleanWipe will proceed to scan your computer and remove any Symantec products it finds. Do not use or shut down your computer while CleanWipe is running. A notification should pop up once CleanWipe has finished completely.
- Restart your computer before attempting to install Symantec or any other antivirus software.