Timeline for CAE Software Requests
A summary of the process and time frame for software requests on CAE workstations
CAE is currently not accepting new software requests. If you have any questions, please contact the CAE Help Desk
Note: Software requests are only considered when they come directly from a faculty or staff member associated with the College of Engineering.
CAE will not install new software once a windows image is set and deployed for the semester. This generally happens a few weeks before the semester begins. So if you wish to have new software included please contact CAE well before the semester begins, preferably a month or more.
When you make a request for course software to be installed on CAE computers, there are a number of steps that CAE staff need to take to make that request happen. Here is a general list and timeline:
- CAE will decide the upgrade plan and timing for each piece of needed software. Upgrades will not be done once the semester is underway, and are not likely as soon as a new version is available.
- If there is any need for license purchase, upgrade, or modification, this is done next. This can take from 3 days to 2 weeks, depending on the needs and the specific vendor. If the new purchase requires a contract, approval and signature can add 2 to 3 weeks. If the purchase requires a requisition, this adds at least 3 weeks.
- Any license purchases or changes are completed, the license is updated on the server (if needed). This can take 1-3 days.
- After all license issues are resolved and the license is working correctly on the server, CAE begins work on deployment to lab workstations. This takes a minimum of 2 weeks, depending on the time of year and the complexity of the application and install process.
- Once all this is completed, all instructors who requested the software will be contacted and asked to test the software. There's no formal testing process from CAE. We ask that you make sure that the software performs correctly for student assignments.
- After we hear that the software package has been tested and passed, it is moved out of the Untested folder in the file menu to its alphabetical place.