TL - MSS Report Elapsed Time
This procedure offers steps for entering elapsed time through Manager Self Service (MSS).
Procedure At-a-GlanceCategory: Steps for entering time.
Audience: Managers, supervisors, payroll coordinators, Service Center staff.
Jump to Procedure Steps (below)
Jump to Timesheet Periods (below)
Jump to Entering time in an Elapsed Timesheet Steps (below)
Jump to Employee with Multiple Jobs (below)
Jump to Overtime for FLSA Exempt Employees Steps (below)
Jump to Night and Weekend Differentials for FLSA Exempt Employees (below)
Jump to Time Reporting Codes (below)
Jump to Stand-by Pay Steps (below)
Jump to Call-back Steps (below)
Jump to Comp Time Accrual and Usage (below)
Jump to Time Entry for Employees Without an Assigned Work Schedule (Unclassified Hourly) or People in Elapsed Positive Workgroups Steps (below)
Jump to Work on Legal Holiday (below)
Jump to Employees with Alternate Work Week Schedules Steps (below)
Jump to Using TRC K9 Overtime - Straight time Steps (below)
Jump to Related Policies/Job Aids (below)
This procedure offers steps for entering time through Manager Self Service (MSS). This procedure assumes you have entered absence takes before entering time in the timesheet. Managers, supervisors, payroll coordinators, and Service Center staff will follow this procedure when entering time for FLSA exempt employees and Faculty/Academic Staff/Limited Appointment (FA/AS/LI) (Unclassified) hourly employees. Note: FA/AS/LI (Unclassified) employees will not be enrolled in Time & Labor and will not report time except for FA/AS/LI (Unclassified) Hourly employees.
To perform this procedure, please follow these steps:
- To access or review a timesheet, refer to TL - Accessing a Timesheet (Employee & Manager)
- Enter your search criteria or use the look-up icon to select your employees. You may enter a specific employee ID (EmplID), search for an employee by Last Name and First Name (the timesheet requires all CAPS for the names), or search by Group ID. The search results will depend on your look up parameters. Looking up one employee will give that employee's search result, whereas looking up a group of employees will yield a list of employees in the search result. The examples below relate to group searches but the navigation steps apply to single or multiple employee search results.
Best Practice: Use only the Group ID in the selection criteria when searching for employee timesheets. Using additional selection criteria may result in some employees being inadvertently filtered out of the search results.
If you want to select the group of employees assigned to you, use the Group ID look-up. The Group ID search is based on the following:
- “A” Static Groups - Payroll Coordinator
- “B” Static Groups - UW Supervisor
- “C” Static Groups - UW Supervisor Backup
- “D” Static Groups -Non UW Supervisor
- “E” Static Groups -Non UW Supervisor Backup
- Groups A-E are formed based on the data that is entered on the TL - Create and Maintain Time and Labor Security page in Time and Labor. These groups contain all of the employees for which you are assigned as either the Payroll Coordinator, Supervisor/Supervisor Backup, or Non UW Supervisor/Non UW Supervisor Backup.
These groups can be identified as Static groups in the Group Look-up and should be used in most cases since these are your direct reports. These groups only contain the people for whom you have been identified on the TL Security Page.
You may have multiple groups assigned depending on each employee’s TL Security Page Setup. For example, if you are the payroll coordinator for your division, but also supervise and are a backup supervisor to employees, you would have 3 groups from the above listing created. You would have an “A” Static Payroll Coordinator Group, a “B” Static Supervisor Group, and a “C” Static UW Supervisor Backup Group.
These groups are not driven from the department security that you may have. So if you are the Supervisor in the BioChem Department (A073000) but also supervise students in Chemistry (A481500), you may have employees from both departments in your “B” Static Supervisor Group as long as you are listed as the supervisor for those employees on the TL Security Page.
In the example below, the Group ID reflects the employee has an "A" Static Group as a Payroll Coordinator and also a "B" Static Group as Supervisor of other employees.
- Group F is only created if you also have one of the "A" - "E" groups. It is a Dynamic group and will contain everyone who is in that department. This group is only for those who have HR security access; if your HR security is for A481000, you will only see people in A481000 in this group. For example, if you are a payroll coordinator for A171000, you would see everyone in A171000 in this group even if you aren’t assigned as the payroll coordinator on all of the employees TL Security Page.
In the example below, because the employee has one of the A-E Static Groups assigned, the employee also sees an "F" Dynamic Group.
- You may also do look ups or narrow the look up parameters by including Business Unit, Job Code, Department, and Workgroup. If you have employees at more than one location, you could choose Business Unit to narrow your selection by campus. You can further limit the search by choosing Department. If you are responsible for a specific type of employee, you can further limit the search by choosing a workgroup for University Staff (classified) or student employees. If you use the same search each time, you may save your commonly used search in manager search options. Please refer to user procedure TL - MSS Time Management User Preferences for steps.
- In the example below, the search criteria includes Last Name JONES, Business Unit UWEAU, and Workgroup STH00NPP00.
- Click Get Employees.
- Choose the date for which the time entry will be made. It may also be necessary to change the date's View By selection. If the employee is a new hire, rehire, returning from a work break, or if the employee had a job change which changed the workgroup from punch to elapsed or elapsed to punch, select View By: Day or Week. Please refer to user procedure TL - Using Timesheet View By procedure for more detail.
- Click Get Employees or Refresh.
- If the employee has multiple jobs, the employee's name and each job will be listed. In the above search, the results show three students who have more than one position.
- Determine the job for which you are entering time by Working Title and Empl Rcd Nbr and click the employee name hyperlink.
- You are taken to the timesheet. The timesheet page is for the two week period which includes the date chosen from the previous page. The timesheet page will display as either an elapsed timesheet or a punch timesheet. For an overview of each type of timesheet, please refer to user procedures TL - Elapsed Exception Timesheet Entry (Employee & Manager) , TL - Elapsed Positive Timesheet Entry (Employee & Manager) , TL - Punch Exception Timesheet Entry (Employee & Manager) , and TL - Punch Positive Timesheet Entry (Employee & Manager) .
“F” Dynamic Groups – Payroll Coordinators (Based on Department Security)
- The default timesheet view is for a two week time period, defined by the biweekly pay periods.
- If you want to see the timesheet for a day or week, select the View By drop down and choose the view you want.
- At the Date field, select the day or week you want to view and click Refresh.
- If the timesheet has a default work schedule and the schedule accurately reflects the hours worked with no deviations to the employee's time for the period, click Submit to submit the employee's time. Note: If the employee has absence takes for the time period, absence information should be entered before submitting time in the timesheet.
Timesheet with no change to schedule
- If the employee worked hours which are different from the default work schedule, the day's hours quantity must be changed. The next steps will show how to enter or make changes in the elapsed timesheet.
Note: If the employee is a new hire, rehire, returning from a work break, or if the employee had a job change which changed the workgroup from punch to elapsed or elapsed to punch, or if the employee's TL Security record was changed with a mid-period date, select View By: Week. Please refer to user procedure TL - Using Timesheet View By procedure for more detail.
- To enter time in the elapsed timesheet, click in the day's time field. Then you may overwrite the time, replacing it with the corrected hours, or delete the default hours and then enter the corrected hours. After you click Submit, any change to default hours will cause an additional row of time to be added in the elapsed timesheet, as shown below.
Elapsed timesheet showing no deviation to scheduled hours
Elapsed timesheet showing deviation to scheduled hours on Friday 2/4/2011
- FLSA exempt employees and FA/AS/LI (Unclassified) hourly employees will report time in quarter hour segments. Use the following chart to enter segments of time.
- The default Time Reporting Code (TRC) is blank. Within reported and payable time, it defaults to Regular hours. It is not necessary to select TRC REG00 for "regular" work.
- If the worked hours should go to another TRC, scroll to the right of the timesheet and select the '+' button to add a new row.
- After the row is added, select the additional TRC from the Time Reporting Code drop-down and enter the number of hours worked in the new row's blank field beneath the respective date. Please refer to user procedure TL - Time Reporting Codes Overview for an overview of Time Reporting Codes.
- A sample of elapsed Time Reporting Codes is shown below.
- Repeat the process to add new rows for every additional TRC and enter the number of hours worked beneath the respective dates.
- If the reported time is to go to a Taskgroup or Task Profile other than the default value, click on the respective look up and choose from the selections. At this time, only UW Madison Athletics, UW Madison Housing, and UW Stout will use Taskgroup and Task Profile ID. Please refer to user procedure TL Taskgroup/Task Profile Reference Setup for more information.
NOTE: At the far right of the timesheet are two selections and fields for Rule Element 1 (Comp) and Rule Element 2 (Lunch durations). These two fields do not work within the elapsed timesheet.
- After time is entered, click Submit to save your work.
- If your employee search was for one employee who has multiple jobs, click the Previous Employee or Next Employee hyperlink at the top of the timesheet to go to the employee's previous or next Empl Rcd. If your employee search was for a group of employees, click Next Employee to move to the next employee in your group selection.
- The timesheet retains the time period from the previous screen.
- Enter time for the employee's other job(s), remembering to click Submit before exiting the timesheet.
- Enter overtime for eligible FLSA exempt employees in the elapsed timesheet by selecting appropriate Time Reporting Codes and entering the number of overtime hours.
- In the elapsed timesheet, scroll to the right and click ('+') to add a row.
- In the Time Reporting Code (TRC) drop-down list, choose the appropriate TRC. Please refer to the "TRC by groups employee timesheet view" to understand which TRC to use.
- For example, an employee works more than the scheduled 8 hours on 2/17 and 2/18 and is eligible to receive overtime pay. Under the respective dates, enter the number of hours of additional work as shown below.
- Click Submit to save your work.
- Not all FLSA exempt staff are eligible for night and weekend differential because of the total job concept. If eligible, this section outlines how to enter night and weekend differentials for eligible FLSA exempt employees in the elapsed timesheet. In order to pay night and/or weekend differential to FLSA exempt employees in the elapsed timesheet, Time Reporting Codes must be selected and number of hours must be entered.
- In the elapsed timesheet, scroll to the right and click ('+') to add a row on the applicable day.
- In the Time Reporting Code (TRC) drop-down list, choose the appropriate TRC. "TRC by groups employee timesheet view" to understand which TRC to use.
- For example, an employee works within the night differential period on 2/14, 2/17, and 2/21 and within the weekend differential period on 2/19. Under the respective dates, enter the number of hours which apply to the night or weekend work as shown below.
- Click Submit to save your work.
- The default Time Reporting Code (TRC) is blank. Within reported and payable time, it defaults to Regular hours. It is not necessary to select TRC REG00 or REG01 for "regular" work.
- If the employee worked hours which should go to another TRC, select the TRC from the drop down list. If more than one TRC is needed for the day, add a row for the date. Please refer to user procedure TL - Time Reporting Codes Overview for more information.
- Stand-by is entered by using a TRC and amount, depending on how a union pays stand-by pay.
- Add a new row by scrolling to the right of the timesheet and clicking the '+'button.
- Select the Stand-by Time Reporting Code and enter the number of hours on the new row under the date when the employee was on Stand-by.
- Add additional rows for each day of Stand-by.
If the employee was on Stand-by and called back to work, or if the employee was just called back to work, and if time is already entered for the day, add a row for the day of call-back, enter the amount of time of call-back work, and select the Call-back Time Reporting Code from the drop-down. The Time Administration rules will process the appropriate required hours. For example, if the employee only works for an hour but the union rules call for them to get 2 ½ hours paid, then the Time Admin rule will create the additional payment. In like manner, if the employee works over the minimum required amount (4 hour of work in contract) or greater, the employee would still use the code, but the rule will see they worked over the required minimum and will create payable time for the actual worked hours.
Time Entry for Employees without an Assigned Work Schedule (FA/AS/LI (Unclassified) Hourly) or People in Elapsed Positive Workgroups
- If an employee does not have an assigned work schedule, the timesheet is blank.
Example of elapsed timesheet without assigned work schedule
- Enter time for the employee in the same manner you would for someone with an assigned schedule. In the elapsed timesheet, enter the number of hours for each worked day.
Warning! NOTE:Do not use Rule Element 2 for a lunch selection. Rule Element 2 does not work for elapsed time reporters.
- The Time Reporting Code is left blank if the worked hours are going to Regular time. If the employee performed work that should be allocated to another TRC, use the TRC drop-down to select the TRC from the list. Please refer to user procedure TL - Time Reporting Codes Overview for more information.
- After entering time, click Submit to save your work.
If an employee works on a holiday, the time must be entered on the timesheet to assure correct pay for the holiday work. Please refer to user procedures TL - Work on Legal Holiday and TL - Legal Holidays in Time & Labor for more information.
- An employee has an assigned schedule in which the employee works more than 40 hours in one week and less than 40 hours in the other week (e.g. 44-36, 45-35). Please see the example below of how time would be entered for the two weeks.
- If an FLSA exempt employee is making up time for week 1 (left early), the employee should probably use ALTWK for the extra hours of work in week 2 instead of using the overtime TRC EOT codes. However, this will depend on whether the supervisor wants to pay overtime for week 2 or whether the second week's time was making up for the first week.
Example: Elapsed (exempt) works 38 hours in week 1, then 42 hours in week 2
- If an employee who holds a position with Law Enforcement has additional canine duties, Time Reporting Code K9OT1 will be selected in the TRC drop-down for each day of canine duty. The employee will enter the hours Quantity in the Quantity field. When the TRC processes through Time Admin rules, the employee will receive an additional amount of pay for the canine duty.
- In the example below, the employee has canine duty on Monday.
Timesheet before adding TRC K9OT1
- Scroll to far right of the timesheet and click '+' to add a row.
- Select TRC K9OT1 from the TRC drop-down and enter the number of hours in the new row under the applicable date.
Timesheet after entering the TRC and number of hours for Friday.
- TL - Navigation in Time and Labor
- TL - Timesheets and Time Reporters
- TL - Time Reporting Codes Overview
- TL - Timesheet Shift Spanning Two Days
- TL - Timesheet Time Format
- TL - Lunch Punch
- TL - Work on Legal Holiday
- TL - MSS Weekly Time Calendar
- TL - Overtime Multiple Jobs and Comp Time Policy