HR - Academic Year Employees
This procedure will explain the process for creating positions and hiring/appointing staff to academic year employment. This will impact the process for benefits pre-pays for the summer months.
This procedure outlines the process for creating positions and hiring/appointing staff into those positions. This includes faculty, instructional academic staff and graduate assistants. For the purpose of benefits, this procedure outlines the proper method in creation and maintenance of academic year jobs including Expected Job End Dates as appropriate so the pre-pay processing for multiple deductions will run with minimal manual intervention in the system. For Academic Year employees, the process for employing and paying summer service or summer session contracts will be done under separate empl records for each individual. These positions and empl records will be specific to the appropriate pay basis category (service or session) and always with a fixed terminal Continuity (02A). The employee can be rehired into that same position/empl record each summer.
Process Inputs – Employee Types
- C-Basis, continuing – academic year
- C-Basis, continuing – one semester per academic year
- C-Basis, fixed term – academic year or less
- C-Basis, Summer Session or Summer Service jobs should only be fixed terminal (02A).
Key Fields on Position & Job
- Pay Basis
- Full Time/Part Time Indicator
- Duration (Expected Job End Date [EJED])
- Encumbrance (Fiscal Year/Session on Job)
- WRS Intent
- Report for School/Colleges/Divisions/Campus of employees with an EJED for audit of the end dates.
- Pre Pay process
- Short Work Break process*
- Return from Short Work Break process*
- Faculty/Academic Staff/Limited Appointment (FA/AS/LI) (Unclassified) leave reports
- If a FA/AS/LI (unclassified) employee with an Empl Class of FA (Faculty), AS (Academic Staff), SA (Student Assistant), LI (Limited) begins their work at the University in the summer prior to his/her initial primary job, both jobs, if possible, should be established at the same time, and the WRS Intent (No, Grad or WRS) should be consistent between jobs.
- Summer leave reports are completed as they occur.
- No leave accrues during the summer months for C-basis staff.
- All summer jobs for C-basis staff are separate jobs and never designated as "primary" for benefits, unless it is the only job.
- All summer service and summer session jobs are fixed terminal (02A) continuity.
- Campuses will need to attach funding to each job record for summer service/session.
- Do not set the Business Unit to "SHARE" as default values will not populate correctly.
- *Short Work Break = the first date of the summer service or summer session per the campus calendar.
- *Return from Work Break = the first date of the campus specific Academic Year.
- *If the future dated row is greater either the campus specific Short Work Break or Return from Work Break dates the rows will not automatically insert on job, however, an HRS report will be produced and distributed to campuses for review and action.
Exceptions (including first-year considerations):
At go live (e.g. April 18, 2011), summer appointments should not be created prior to the final data conversion.
To perform this procedure, please follow these steps:
- Log on to HRS
Navigate to Organizational Development>Position Management>Maintain Positions/Budget>Add/Update Position Info.
- Click on the "Add New Value" Tab and click “Add”
Add an Effective Date. Remember the Effective Date must be equal to or greater than the start date of the hire into the position.
- Reason Code will default to “NEW”
Status will default to "Active" (NOTE: To copy an existing position attributes click on the “Initialize” button and search by position number)
- Enter the appropriate Business Unit (ex: UWMIL for Milwaukee campus) (See UWSC Support - List of Campus Code Identifiers)
Enter the appropriate Job Code (You may search by Job Code in the search function. Note: All University Staff (classified) Job Codes are numeric and FA/AS/LI (unclassified) Job Codes are alpha numeric. “C” Job Codes are faculty; “D” Job Codes for instructional staff; “E” job codes for research staff)
- Verify the Job Code description matches the selected Job Code. (Note you may change the Title field to a working title; however, working titles are not to reflect other existing titles within the job code structure. For more information contact your HR office).
Enter the appropriate Employee Class. (See HR - Empl Class Overview for definition). In most cases the choices for empl class options will default based on job code.
- Enter the appropriate "Continuity Code." (For a list of Continuity codes, refer to the Table of Continuity Codes and Appointment Descriptions/Duration within HRS KnowledgeBase document 16273, HR - Create a Position in HRS (Non-Madison) ).
Note: For some Empl Classes, such as University Staff Ongoing (Classified Permanent), the only Continuity code option will be “01-Ongoing”; Faculty may be “01-Ongoing” or for a Summer Service (e.g. research/administrative) or Summer Session (e.g. teaching) position should be “02A-Fixed Terminal < than 6 months”.
Review or update the “Full/Part Time” drop down box to Full Time for FTE of .50 or greater or Part Time for FTE less then .50. This will drive Health Insurance rates.
- Click on the Pay Basis drop down list and choose Academic (nine months).
Enter the appropriate Department code. This is the legacy “UDDS” code beginning with the campus identifier. See UWSC Support - List of Campus Code Identifiers.
- Enter the appropriate Location code. These codes begin with the campus identifier. See UWSC Support - List of Campus Code Identifiers.
The Salary Plan information will default in for the position based on Business Unit, Job Code, Empl Class and Pay Basis.
- Select the appropriate Standard Hours for the position. (Note: If using a position for multiple incumbents, the Standard Hours must be identical for each employee hired into the position).
FTE will default based on the Standard Hours field.
- Select the Specific Information tab. If there will be multiple incumbents, enter the appropriate number into the Head Count field.
Verify that the Budgeted Position box is checked.
- Click “Save” and record the position number. (Ignore the “Reports to” error message as that field will not be used in HRS).
Add a person to the position
- If the Person already exists in HRS and the person is being transferred or hired on an existing Empl Record, navigate to Workforce Administration>Personal Information>Organizational Relationships>Add Employment Instance.
- SEARCH by Empl ID. Select the correct “empl record”.
Add an Effective Date Row
- Depending upon the current employment status choose the appropriate Action and Action Reason from the table below.
- If the person already exists in HRS with no Empl Record (without Job Information) OR a concurrent Job is being added, navigate to Workforce Administration>Personal Information>Organizational Relationships>New Employment Instance.
- Enter the search criteria to find the appropriate Empl ID
Click on Add Relationship
- Adjust the Effective Date as needed
The action of “HIRE” defaults. Select the appropriate action/action reason (see above chart).
For concurrent Jobs, the Empl Rcd # will default to the next available number and the Job Indicator defaults to Secondary Job.
- Complete the following fields:
- On the Work location tab, verify the job indicator is set appropriately (Primary Job or Secondary Job). Enter the Expected Job End Date, if applicable, (required on continuities 02A, 02B, 02C, 05A, 05B). Select the appropriate Position Number. Additional fields will default from the position data.
On the Job Information Tab, verify Job Information pre-populated by the selection of a position number or, if no position, enter the Job Code, Empl Class, Pay Basis ("Academic", "Summer Session" or "Summer Service"), Standard Hours, and other data if appropriate.
- On the Job Labor Tab, values will default from position or values entered on Work Location and Job Information tabs.
On the Payroll Tab, values will default from position or values entered on Work Location and Job Information tabs.
- On the Salary Plan Tab, values will default from position or values entered on Work Location and Job Information tabs.
On the Compensation Tab, select Rate Code of NAANL, enter Comp Rate and bottom Frequency of “A” and a top Frequency of “9M”. Then click “Calculate Compensation”. Review to ensure calculated Compensation Rate (by top Frequency) is the correct monthly amount.
- On the UW Custom Page, choose a Probation Type and, if on Probation, enter the Probation End Date. (NOTE: Faculty tenure on-track information is not entered on this page). Verify Continuity Status, Rate Exceptions, Working Title, External Systems, and Encumbrances and update as appropriate.
- HR - Entering Expected Job End Date / Change the Expected Job End Date
- HR - Create a Position in HRS (Non-Madison)
- HR - Comp Rate Frequency Overview
- HR - Action/Action Reason Code Job Aid
- Document 17779 is unavailable at this time.
- Document 24593 is unavailable at this time.
- HR - Summer Service & Summer Session Positions/Jobs
- HR - Tenure Tracking
|NOTE: Academic Year Employees hired with an Expected Job End Date will be automatically terminated when their Expected Job End Date passes.|