FN - Enter Direct Retro Funding Distribution
Direct Retro Funding Distribution: PeopleSoft delivered functionality to perform an accounting transfer against a previously charged salary or fringe-related expense for a specific pay run. Complete this process for employees who have been paid correctly, but were funded incorrectly. You may make funding changes to one or many payrolls for an employee at one time.
General DescriptionThis process is used for employees that have been paid the correct amount, but have been paid by the wrong funding source(s). A direct retro funding distribution process is performed to correct their funding distribution. This process will not update funding for future payrolls. You will need to update funding for the employee/job using the Budget Funding Data Entry page for funding changes in the future. See FN - Add or Change Appointment Level Funding for Employee's Salary Expense .
All adjustments will be made to Earnings, and the effects will flow through to Deductions and Taxes proportionately. Adjustments that would have tax implications will be performed via the Paycheck Adjustment process and be performed by the Service Center.
- Employee ID
- Employee Record
- Payrolls selected to change
- RUN_HPDISTSRCH table
- RUN_HPSRCHDATA table
- UW_PY_SELECT_WRK table
- Journal Entries
- HP_RDIST_ERNDAT records
- HP_RDIST_DEDDAT records
- HP_RDIST_TAXDAT records
You will only be able to select payrolls for employees that have been fully processed through HRS and posted in SFS (Shared Financial System).
When updating funding for an employee with multiple 'Earn Codes', select the specific funding row that corresponds with the 'Earn Code' for which you want to update funding.
Salary Cost Transfers (Direct Retro Funding Distribution) will be done for payroll originating in Legacy payroll in the Salary Cost Transfer Web Application. Only Direct Retro Funding Distributions (e.g. Salary Cost Transfer) related to payrolls produced by HRS will be performed in HRS.
To perform this procedure, please follow these steps:
- From the HRS main Menu, use the following navigation: Payroll for North America > Payroll Distribution > Commitment Accounting USA > Direct Retro Distribution
- Click on the Add a New Value tab
- Click on the ADD button (Direct Retro ID displays as NEW, System automatically assigns Direct Retro number DRXXXXXXXX)
- Enter the employee's Business Unit (BU) in the Bus Unit field (BU on Work Location tab of Job Data record)
- Search for Next Payroll box: (User makes no changes here)
- Processing Options/*Apply to Transactions: Leave as defaulted: ALL
- Select the 'Date Range' for paycheck you are processing the direct retro for. Enter Begin Date that is before or equal to the earnings end date of the payroll you will be creating the direct retro for. The End Date will automatically be populated based on the last payroll processed through to SFS General Ledger
- Search Employee Box: Enter the Employee ID and tab out of field
- Search Employee: Enter the Empl Rec# and tab out of field. (Note: 'Search' button will not display until BU, Employee ID, and Empl Rcd# are populated and user has tabbed out of the fields)
- Click the Search button and Payroll Data grid below will display.
- A Payroll Data grid will display at the bottom of the screen with payrolls that are available for direct retro processing
- Select the box next to the payroll that you want to perform the direct retro for. (Note Payroll 2012BW06A in screen shot above, where Direct Retro has already been completed).
- Click the Save button.
- A Run button will appear. Click the run button.
- The Retro Distribution Transaction page will appear, after processing is complete (NOTE: this may take a minute). Funding distribution will be displayed with 'Old Data' that was used to fund the employee paycheck for the selected payroll. A grid with 'New Data' funding distribution rows will also appear and are editable so that you may enter the new funding values for this employee.
To complete this process, please follow these steps:
- Enter 'New Data' funding information. (Old Data is populated here as a default)
- GL Business Unit (e.g. UWMSN, user can edit field, but will be limited to their own business unit unless they have security for cross-business unit entry)
- Fund (e.g. 144)
- DeptID (6-digit funding department number, does NOT have alpha character, e.g. 576847)
- Program code (e.g. 7)
- Project (e.g. PRJJR13, Note: Project field implies employee is funded by grants. If this field is populated, a 'Project End Date' will display)
- Project End Date (view only field)
- Account - enter the appropriate account number if applicable (this is not done very often)
- Earnings (enter the amount of earnings that you want distributed to this particular funding line)
- Click 'Calculate Distribution' button (Note: This step will confirm the funding information the user has entered is valid, as well as the amount has not been changed) If the Total for the 'New Data' funding being entered does not equal the Total for the 'Old Data', you will get an error message and will not be able to save the page. Correct amounts so that totals match. If you have entered any invalid funding values, the funding line will be hightlighted in red and an error message will appear. Make corrections and save the page.
- After clicking 'Calculate Distribution' a drop down Distribution Status box will appear. Set status to "Ready for Batch Processing" or "Ready for Supervisor Approval". (Based on user security). The Direct Retro will be picked up in the nightly batch process, and be sent to SFS Financials and post to the General Ledger.
- Click 'Save'
- Enter any necessary comments in 'Requester Comments' text box. (Optional) Note: user can add comments only after setting status to Ready for Batch Processing. Save the page. The direct retro will be processed during batch processes that evening.
NOTE: if one or more funding lines will be charged to a business unit different from the "Old Data" business unit that has been prepopulated, select the business unit. In most cases, funding entry for cross-business unit direct retros must be done my the Service Center
Special Earnings Code Implications:
If employee has been paid with multiple Earnings Codes, you need to update funding on the appropriate funding row for the specific earnings code it applies to. If funding is to be split out from the original funding (additional rows), click the + on the row with the Earn Code you want updated. See below for example.
Custom Process Exceptions
Direct Retro Funding Distribution for Employees on Work Study - User will enter funding values in New Data grid that reflect funding distribution, INCLUDING Fund 145 entries and SFS account 1781 for work study for both sides if funding splits depending on type of work study applicable.
Direct Retro Funding Distribution on Fringe Exceptions - No change to how funding is entered in the "New Data" grid. The Direct Retro Funding Distribution process for Fringe Exceptions WILL update the funding according to the Custom Fringe Distribution Process. For more explanation regarding the Fringe Distribution Process, refer to KnowledgeBase document 17211, Document 17211 is unavailable at this time. .
|The Direct Retro Funding Distribution page is driven by SFS accounting periods (e.g. months) during a fiscal year. SFS Accounting Periods begin the 1st calendar day of the month and end the last calendar day of the month. Accounting Period 1 is the month of July, Accounting Period 2 is August, Accounting Period 3 is September, Accounting Period 4 is October...Accounting Period 12 is June.
- FN - View Direct Retro Funding Distribution for Employee's Salary Expense
- FN - Custom Fringe Distribution Process
- FN - Add or Change Appointment Level Funding for Employee's Salary Expense