TL - Comp Time usage
This procedure provides steps for using compensatory time (comp time).
This procedure provides steps for using compensatory time (comp time). If an employee is eligible to receive comp time in lieu of overtime payment and the employee has a comp time balance in the system, comp time usage will be designated in the timesheet.
Reported Time from Timesheets
To perform this procedure, please follow these steps:
- Employees who are eligible to receive comp time and have comp time balances available to use will designate comp time usage through their timesheet. For example, an employee who is scheduled to work 8 hours but chooses to work six hours and use comp time for the remaining two hours of the work day.
- Scroll to the far right of the timesheet and click '+' to add a new row.
- On the new row, from the Time Reporting Code (TRC) drop-down, choose the TRC CTUSE for Comp Time Taken.
- Enter the span of hours, quantity (punch timesheet), or quantity of hours (elapsed timesheet), of comp time used. If you are working during the day and using comp time for a part of the day, the hours worked should be reduced by amount of the comp time used. In the example below, the eight scheduled hours of work were reduced to six hours.
Punch timesheet example with hours entered
Punch timesheet example with quantity entered
Elapsed timesheet example
- If the employee has no comp time balance or the amount of the comp time usage exceeds the comp time balance, an error message will occur. In the error message that is shown, the employee is trying to use 2 hours of comp time they do not have. (Note: This error is a bit misleading because the employee is trying to use too many hours. Comp time balance may not go negative.)
- The comp time TRC and hours will have to be removed or changed to an appropriate amount before the timesheet can be submitted and saved.
- If the employee has a comp time balance exceeding 80 Hours, a Time and Labor Exception will be generated and no payable time on the day of the exception will be processed until the exception is resolved.
The employee will not be allowed to use comp time until their comp time balance has been reduced to 80 hours or less. This can be accomplished by processing a Comp Time Payout (CTPAY) for the employee. Once the employee's comp time balance is reduced to 80 hours or less, the employee will be able to use comp time hours.
- Comp Time balance can be checked by following the steps in user procedure TL - View Compensatory Time Balance .
- If you have questions about the comp time, please contact your payroll coordinator.
- After all other timesheet entries are completed, click Submit to save your work.
This completes the steps for this procedure.
- TL - Comp Time Accrual
- TL - View Compensatory Time Balance
- TL - Review and Approve Exceptions
- TL - Compensatory Time Payout