HR - Change Position Data
This procedure outlines how to make changes on position to ensure that the title, pay range, and pay status are correct.
- On the Add/Update Position page, the Update Incumbents box on the Specific Information tab must be unchecked in only the following circumstances:
- When changing a position from a Continuity that should not have an Expected Job End Date to a Continuity that requires an Expected Job End Date, it is important to uncheck the Update Incumbents box in Position Data before saving. This will disconnect Position Data from Job Data and requires that a manual Job Data row be added after the Position Data has been updated to account for the Position Change. If the Update Incumbents box is checked in this situation, a hard warning message will appear stating "Please enter Expected End Date. It is a required field. (20004,8)" and the record will not save.
- When changing the Pay Basis on a position to one that does not match the incumbent's existing pay frequency on Job Data, it is important to uncheck the Update Incumbents box on the Specific Information tab in Position Data before saving. This will disconnect Position Data from Job Data and requires that a manual Job Data row be added after the Position Data has been updated to account for the Position Change. If the Update Incumbents box is checked in this situation, a hard warning message will appear stating, "Absence Management Pay Group is required when Pay System is PNA or PI and using Absence Management. (1000,1360)" and the record will not save. KB HR - Comp Rate Frequency Overview explains which Pay Bases are compatible with which pay frequencies.
- You can find a position number from Job Data. See HR - Search For an Employee's Position Number From Job Info.
- If multiple changes are happening on the same effective date, there can only be one Reason Code for each effective date on the Position. But multiple rows will need to be added to the Job Data to record each change.
- A change in position data will not automatically flow to job data when the effective date of the position change is earlier than the last effective dated row on job data. Contact your Affinity Group for assistance in this situation.
- Changes to position affect all incumbents of that position. In this case, you may need to transfer an incumbent to another position.
- Navigate to Organizational Development>Position Management>Maintain Positions/Budgets > Add/Update Position Info.
- Enter the Position Number or search for the position by Department and/or other search fields.
- If necessary, choose the position from the search results.
- Click the plus sign to insert a row to the existing Position.
- If necessary, change the Effective Date to the date that the change is to be in effect.
- Enter the Reason Code or click the magnifying glass icon) to select the appropriate Reason Code.
- Make the change(s) that must take effect on that Effective Date.
- Click Save.
- The Position change is saved, and a corresponding Position change row is inserted on the Job Data record with the new Effective-Dated row and changed field values
- To verify updates have taken place on job data, click the Budget and Incumbents tab, then click the Job Data link under the Current Incumbents section or go to Workforce Administration>Job Information>Job Data.
- If the change did not flow to Job Data, please contact your Affinity Group to create a WiscIT
- In this example the location was updated.
- If multiple changes were made on the Position in addition to the reason code chosen, add a new row for each change.
- For example, if the location was changed when the pay basis was changed, add a row, use Action of Position Change and Reason of Location Change. The location will already have come over correctly with the Pay Basis row but the addition row is necessary for recording the location change.