HR - FACULTY, ACADEMIC STAFF, LIMITED APPOINTEE (Unclassified) - Academic Fixed Renewable
This guide will walk you through the steps of hiring a person into an Academic Fixed Renewable position for all campuses, except UW-Madison. UW-Madison uses a partner system called Job and Employee Management System (JEMS) which interfaces with HRS.
- This document does not apply to UW-Madison and is intended for users from other UW campuses. UW-Madison users should refer to documentation intended for their campus.
Before using this guide, you should have the following:
- Employee's Empl ID
- Appointment Letter, Hire a Person (with a Position) form with all the completed data
- For example, Compensation information, Probation requirements, etc.
Searched EPM for a potential match
Search for Matching Person conducted in HRS
Add a Person's information has been completed
Add the 'Employee' relationship on the Organizational Relationship tab.
2. From the Action list, select Hire.
3. From the Reason list select Original/New Hire.
4. Enter or look up the Position Number.
6. Click the Job Labor tab. On the Job Labor tab values will default from the Job Code, Business Unit and selected Position.
7. Click the Payroll tab. On the Payroll tab values will default from Business Unit, Job Code, Empl Class and Pay Basis.
8. Click the Salary Plan tab. On the Salary Plan tab values will default from the Job Code & Business Unit selected.
NOTE: Review the Comp Rate Frequency Job Aid for assistance on what should be in the fields.
1. Click the Default Pay Components button.
2. In the Pay Components section, in the Amounts mini-tab, verify the Rate Code.
3. In the Pay Components section, in the Amounts mini-tab, enter the Comp Rate.
4. In the Pay Components section, in the Amounts mini-tab, verify and/or update the Frequency, if necessary.
5. In the Compensation section, located near the top, right part of the screen, verify and/or update the required *Frequency field, if necessary.
6. Click the Calculate Compensation button.
Probation: Enter the Probation type and an end date, if applicable. If there is no probation, you must choose "Not Required".
Encumbrances section: As of June 10, 2013, information in the Encumbrances section will populate automatically. For more information on Encumbrances, refer to HRS KnowledgeBase document 16729, HR - Encumbrance Definitions - Job Aid .
11. Click the UW Benefits tab.
- Previous WRS State Service/Local Service: A nightly batch process makes a call to the State of Wisconsin, Department of Employee Trust Funds (abbreviated ETF), to determine whether the employee exists in the ETF employee database. Review BN - WRS Lookback Process . The field will auto populate to "0" for those employees that do not have previous Wisconsin Retirement System (WRS) service. An employee with previous WRS service will be placed on the New Hire Hold report and will need to be updated manually. Review Document 20138 is unavailable at this time. .
- Update Rehired Annuitant, Visiting from Other Institution and Work Out of State Required, as required.
If applicable, enter the Criminal Background Check Date.
13. Click the Save button.
Link to Additional Training Documents:
Add a Person Job Aid (Fields description)