HR - University Staff Ongoing (Classified Permanent) Hire
This guide will walk you through the steps of hiring a person into a University Staff Ongoing (Classified Permanent) position all campuses, except UW-Madison (JEMS).
- This document does not apply to UW-Madison and is intended for users from other UW campuses. UW-Madison users should refer to documentation intended for their campus.
Before adding the Employment Instance in HRS Job Data, you should have completed the following:
- Make sure the employee has been added to HRS. HR - Add a Person .
- Make sure the Position has been added in HRS. HR - Create a Position in HRS (Non-Madison)
- NOTE: In the Person pages, on the UW Personal Tab, verify that the Adjusted Continuous Service Date field has the correct date. HR - UW Personal - Adjust Continuous Service Date
- If the employee is male between the ages of 18-25 years of age, you need to verify the Selective Service fields. HR - UW Personal - Selective Service
Add employment instance:
1. Navigate to Workforce Administration>Personal Information>Organizational Relationships>New Employment Instance
2. Enter the employee's EmplID.
3. Click Add Relationship.
Work Location Tab:
- Click in the Effective Date field. Enter the employee's Date of Hire.
- Click the Calculate Status and Dates button if it appears.
- Select the Action list and choose Hire.
- From the Reason list, select the appropriate reason for the Hire (example: Original/New Hire).
- Enter the Position number and tab out of the field. Verify job information was auto-populated correctly based on the selected Position Number.
Click on the Job Information Tab:
- Verify the highlighted job information was auto-populated correctly by the selected Position number.
Office Code Reference: HR - Officer Code Listing - Job Aid .
- If applicable, select the value for Seasonal. HR - Maintain Workforce - Seasonal Employees
Click on the Compensation Tab:
- Click the Default Pay Components button. This will default the Rate Code and the bottom Frequency.
- Verify the correct Rate Code of NAHRLY. HR - Comp Rate Frequency Overview
- Enter the Hourly Comp Rate.
- Verify that the bottom Frequency is H for hourly. HR - Comp Rate Frequency Overview
- Verify the top Frequency is H for hourly.
- Click the Calculate Compensation button.
- Verify the Compensation Rate (in the top Compensation section) is correct.
UW Custom Tab:
- Verify the Continuity Code has populated correctly based on Position. For University Staff Ongoing, this should be 01. HR - Continuity Status Overview .
- Enter the Probation Type and an End Date, if applicable. If no probation is required, you must choose "Not Required" as the value for the field.
- If this is a position of Trust, that will need to be added after all steps have been completed. See HR - Criminal Background Check - Position of Trust .
Click the UW Benefits Tab:
- Previous WRS State Service/Local Service: A nightly batch process makes a call to ETF to see if the employee exists in the ETF employee database. Review BN - WRS Lookback Process . The field will auto populate to "0" for those employees that do not have previous service. An employee with previous WRS service will be placed on the New Hire Hold report and will need manual updating. Review HR - WED - UW_HR_NEW_HIRE_HOLD .
- Adjust the Benefit Service Date if the employee had previous service to give them credit towards their health insurance waiting period.
- Enter the correct value for the Rehired Annuitant Field.
- Leave the Visiting from Other Institution field blank.
- Enter the appropriate value in the Work Out of State Required field. If the employee is required to work out of state for their job, they will be given a more favorable health insurance rate for the Standard Plan.
- Enter "Full Share Rate" in the Health Rate field so the employee will not be charged the Less Than Half Time Rate.
- Click on the Employment Data Link at the bottom of this page to continue hiring process.
Employment Data link:
If applicable, enter the Criminal Background Check date.
- Click Save.