Hiring Employees Using a Position in HRS
OverviewThis guide will walk you through the steps of hiring a person using a position.
- The Position must be in HRS before the hire process can be completed; see Managing Position Data in HRS
- If this hire is a University Staff - Temporary Employment without using a position; see Hiring an Employee into a Job without a Position (Non-Madison) in HRS
- Adjusted Continuous Service Date (ACSD) is required to calculate leave accruals for University Staff Ongoing (CP) and University Staff Project - FT Finite (CJ) employees and by ETF for all WRS-enrolled employees; see Entering an Adjusted Continuous Service Date in HRS
- Criminal Background Check date, Sexual Harassment Reference Check date and Position of Trust type will need to be added after all steps have been completed; see Using the Person Assignment Checklist to record Criminal Background Check, Position of Trust and Sexual Harassment Reference Check in HRS
- If this is a Faculty hire that is eligible for tenure, initial tenure data should be added after the hire steps are complete; see Entering Tenure Tracking in HRS
- If there is a contract, contract details can be added after the hire steps are complete' see Entering Contract Administration in HRS
You may click on the links below to navigate directly to a section:
InstructionsIf you have just added the person information and selected Employee and Add Relationship on the Organizational Relationships tab, skip to step 4.
- Navigate to Workforce Administration > Personal Information > Organizational Relationships > New Employment Instance
- Enter the employee's Empl ID.
- Click Add Relationship.
- Enter the employee's start date in the Effective Date field.
- Click the Calculate Status and Dates button.
- Verify the Action is Hire.
- From the Reason list, select the appropriate reason for the Hire (example: Original/New Hire).
- Enter the Position number and tab out of the field. Verify that Company, Business Unit, Department, Location and Establishment ID auto-populated correctly based on the Position Number.
- Enter the Expected Job End Date if required. This field is required for Continuity of 02 or 05; see Continuity Status in HRS
- Click on the Job Information tab.
- Verify that Job Code, Reports To, Empl Class, Full/Part, Pay Basis and Standard Hours/FTE were auto-populated correctly.
Other fields on this tab that may be used are:
- Seasonal; see Maintaining Workforce - Seasonal Employees in HRS
- Officer Code; see Officer Code Listing Job Aid for HRS
- Contract Number; see Entering Contract Administration in HRS
- Encumbrance Override: Click this checkbox if the department chooses not to encumber the earnings.
NOTE: HRS automatically places a checkmark in the Encumbrance Override indicator field if the employee's Standard Hours are 4.0 or less hours per week; this cannot be changed. See Review of the Nightly Encumbrance Process in HRS and Running the Department Setup Verification Report in HRS
- Click the Job Labor tab. The values will populate based on the position or values entered on the Work Location and Job Information tabs.
- Click the Payroll tab. The data will populated based on the position data.
- Click the Salary Plan tab. The values will populate based on the position or values entered on the Work Location and Job Information tabs.
- Click the Compensation tab.
- Click the Default Pay Components button. This will default the Rate Code and the bottom Frequency.
Note: For employees paid on a monthly basis, also click the Conversion tab to ensure Apply FTE is checked (not shown).
- Verify the Rate Code; see Comp Rate Frequency in HRS
- Enter the Comp Rate. If this is a lump sum job, leave this field blank.
- Verify the bottom Frequency; see Comp Rate Frequency in HRS
- Verify the top Frequency is H, M, or 9M; see Comp Rate Frequency in HRS
- Click the Calculate Compensation button.
- Verify the Compensation Rate (in the top Compensation section) is correct.
- Click the UW Custom tab.
- Verify Continuity has populated correctly based on Position; see Continuity Status in HRS
- If a probation is required, select the Probation Type. If no probation is required, you must choose Not Required; see Employee Probation Types in HRS
- Enter the Probation End Date, if applicable.
- If the salary is not within the range, click the appropriate rate exception checkbox.
Note: The Encumbrances Section will automatically fill after save.
- Click the UW Benefits tab.
- Leave the Previous WRS State Service and Previous WRS Local Service fields blank.
- If known, select the value for the WRS Before July 1, 2011 field. If unknown, leave as the default value of No.
- Enter the correct value for the Rehired Annuitant Field if known. If unknown, leave as the default value of No.
- Leave the Visiting from Other Institution field blank.
- If the employee is required to work out of state for their job, select Yes from the drop-down for the Work Out of State Required field.
- If the employee is expected to work less than 20 hours per week, select Less than Half Time Rate in the Health Rate field.
- If this is a Faculty hire that is eligible for tenure, click the Employment Data hyperlink at the bottom of the page and click the flag icon.
a. Click the Accrue Tenure Services checkbox; see Entering Tenure Tracking in HRS
b. Click on the Employment Data Link at the bottom of this page.
- Click OK.
- Comp Rate Frequency in HRS
- Continuity Status in HRS
- Entering Contract Administration in HRS
- Using the Person Assignment Checklist to record Criminal Background Check, Position of Trust and Sexual Harassment Reference Check in HRS
- Hiring an Employee into a Job without a Position (Non-Madison) in HRS
- HR Report List for HRS
- Maintaining Workforce - Seasonal Employees in HRS
- Officer Code Listing Job Aid for HRS
- Managing Position Data in HRS
- Entering Tenure Tracking in HRS
- Entering an Adjusted Continuous Service Date in HRS
- Review of the Nightly Encumbrance Process in HRS
- Running the Department Setup Verification Report in HRS