HR - University Staff Project - FT Finite (Classified Project) Hire
This guide will walk you through the steps of hiring a person into a University Staff (Classified) Project position for all campuses, except UW-Madison. UW-Madison uses a partner system called Job and Employee Management System (JEMS) which interfaces with HRS.
- This document does not apply to UW-Madison and is intended for users from other UW campuses. UW-Madison users should refer to documentation intended for their campus.
Before using this guide, you should have the following:
- Employee's Empl ID
- Appointment Letter, Hire a Person (with a Position) form with all the completed data
- For example, Adj Cont Serv Date, Compensation information, Probation requirements, etc.
On the customized UW Personal (Under Person pages) tab the following information is important to note:
Adjusted Continuous Service Date: This field will be used only for University Staff Ongoing (Classified Permanent) and University Staff Project - FT Finite (Classified Project) Empl Classes when they have previous classified permanent service. (Note: For University Staff Proj an ACSD will only exist if they have previous classified permanent service).
In some instances, a University Staff (classified) employee may have had a break in service. There is an online seniority calculator from OSER that determines the Adjusted Continuous Service Date. This is the seniority date minus breaks in service, as defined by UW and State of WI policies. The Adjusted Continuous Service Date will be converted from IADS for people who already have this date entered. It can be manually entered in HRS when needed.
The Selective Service field needs to be completed in some cases. Selective Service registration is required for all males between 18-25 years who are hired for University Staff (classified) jobs, as well as several other kinds of jobs.
1. Before adding the relationship, you should have completed the following:
Searched EPM for a potential match.
Search for Matching Person conducted in HRS
Add a Person's information has been completed.
Add the 'Employee' relationship on the Organizational Relationship tab.
2. Select the Action list and choose Hire.
3. On the Reason list click the Original/New Hire.
4. For University Staff Project - FT Finite (Classified Project) positions, an Expected Job End Date is required. Enter Expected Job End Date.
5. Enter or Look Up Position Number.
6. Press [Tab]. See the position information data flow into the fields.
7. Click the Job Information tab. On the Job Information tab, verify job information pre-populated by the selection of a position number is correct.
8. Click the Job Labor tab. On the Job Labor tab values will default from either position number or values entered on Work Location and Job Information tabs.
9. Click the Payroll tab. On the Payroll tab, data has been automatically updated based on the data that was entered in Business Unit, Empl Class, Income Code, FLSA Status, Compensation Frequency and Pay Basis. You should always verify defaults are accurate.
10. Click the Salary Plan tab.
11. On the Salary Plan tab values will default from position or entered values on Work Location and Job Information.
12. Click the Compensation tab.
NOTE: Review the Comp Rate Frequency Job Aid for assistance on what should be in the fields.
1. Click the Default Pay Components.
2. In the Pay Components section, in the Amounts mini-tab, verify the Rate Code.
3. In the Pay Components section, in the Amounts mini-tab, enter the Comp Rate.
4. In the Pay Components section, in the Amounts mini-tab, verify and/or update the Frequency, if necessary.
5. In the Compensation section, verify and/or update the required *Frequency field, if necessary.
6. Click the Calculate Compensation button.
13. On the UW Custom tab, review Continuity Status Information, Probation End Date, if appropriate. Verify Rate Exceptions, Working Title, FLSA Threshold Exemption, Encumbrances and update as appropriate.
Enter the Probation type and an end date, if applicable. If there is no probation, you must choose "Not Required".
Encumbrances section: As of June 10, 2013, the Year and Session fields will automatically populate for an employee's job. For more information on Encumbrances, refer to HRS KnowledgeBase document 16729, HR - Encumbrance Definitions - Job Aid .
14. Click the UW Benefits tab.
Previous WRS State Service/Local Service: A nightly batch process makes a call to ETF to see if the employee exists in the ETF employee database. Review BN - WRS Lookback Process . The field will auto populate to "0" for those employees that do not have previous service. An employee with previous WRS service will be placed on the New Hire Hold report and will need manual updating. Review HR - WED - UW_HR_NEW_HIRE_HOLD .
Update Rehired Annuitant, Visiting from Other Institution and Work Out of State Required, as required.
15. Click Employment Data.
If applicable, enter the Criminal Background Check date
16. Click OK.
17. Click Save.
Link to Additional Training Documents:
Add a Person Job Aid (Fields description)